Shell injury

ShellyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE Florida
Hi! My son was carrying our sulcata and dropped him. The edge of his shell was broken off. How should I treat it? Donut seems ok, after the initial shock he is now having a lettuce treat. This is the edge of his shell over a front leg. PXL_20231006_211637767.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Yvonne G
I would just leave it if it were me. Keep an eye on it and make sure flies don't lay eggs in it
Once tortoises gets as big as yours looks, it's not wise, as you learned, to carry them. That's when a wagon, wheel barrow or some other wheeled thing should be used.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Hi! My son was carrying our sulcata and dropped him. The edge of his shell was broken off. How should I treat it? Donut seems ok, after the initial shock he is now having a lettuce treat. This is the edge of his shell over a front leg. View attachment 362166
To me this all appears to be keratin, no bone at that part of the the shell, so not too bad. worth looking after any jagged or sharp edges.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! My son was carrying our sulcata and dropped him. The edge of his shell was broken off. How should I treat it? Donut seems ok, after the initial shock he is now having a lettuce treat. This is the edge of his shell over a front leg. View attachment 362166
Wipe it down one time with betadine or hydrogen peroxide, and then keep Vetrycin on it for a few days. Neosporin could work instead of Vetrycin if needed.