shell healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandymeredith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
DeFuniak SPrings, Fl
shelly 006.jpg shelly 004.jpg
2 scutes with new, whitish material, soft to touch, emerging ( which i understand can be growth related, but the scutes seem to be peeling up at the edges? )the irregular growth along edges of scutes have been there for more than 2 years, Vet states were probably an early fungal infection, but it seems odd that the scutes currently affected are around this area... any thoughts ?

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I noticed that in your introduction. At first glance, I thought it was a dog bite that caused it. But, now looking more closely at the scutes, I would tend to agree with the vet that it may be some sort of fungus. What I'm concerned with is the softness. Is the whole scute soft or is it just the thin white lines? The white lines, I would say, are growth lines. But, they shouldn't be soft to the touch. I'm concerned that the scute may be soft because of fungus and fall off exposing the bone area. Could you tell me what exactly is soft and how soft? Is it soft when you press in? Does it feel like mush? Is it only one scute or are there more? I believe he may still have the fungus and it's affecting the growth of the scutes around it.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
What kind of bug is that on the lower right corner of the 2nd picture?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
It looks like a small fly of sorts. It's not present in the first pic.
WillTort2 said:
What kind of bug is that on the lower right corner of the 2nd picture?

brandymeredith

5 Year Member
DeFuniak SPrings, Fl
white areas are not soft, just kind of rubbery...? whats concerning me is the fact that i could peel the scutes up ( 2 of them) i havent , dont want to expose anything yet until vet can get out here to look at him...thanks though! no one around here for 100 miles has a tort! im kinda on my own with this baby!

brandymeredith

5 Year Member
DeFuniak SPrings, Fl
dont know...? hes out in a courtyard, mostly grass, has a few bugs of course, no real issues so far, havent seen any bites or irritations on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.