Shell growth-- Pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Here are pictures of Sherman's shell growth from April to today. He is my first Sulcata hatchling (now I have two!), and his shell looks pretty good/consistent (pyramiding wise) to me, but am open to comments, suggestions, opinions, etc!

Thanks!

4/21/10-

DSCN5734.jpg

Tortoisenewandstuff034.jpg

5/22/10-

TortoiseStrawberries013.jpg

TortoiseStrawberries031.jpg

6/10/10-

Sherman003.jpg

Sherman005.jpg

Sherman009.jpg

Sherman012.jpg

Sherman013.jpg

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Looks good, I would limit the strawberries tho :)

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
Great growth! Is Sherman 100% Sulcata? His/her color is really unique.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The new growth looks pretty smooth to me. Please tell us what you are doing regarding moisture and humidity.

Great pics. I love being able to compare them all in one page like this.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
I am not doing too much extra to monitor the humidity. He's on Eco Earth that is kept moist. Heating lamp is on one side of the enclosure, and he gets outside almost every day.

He has been in this set-up since just shortly after I joined this site in March of this year, and took everbody's suggestions to improve his enclosure.

Enclosure without lids:

TortoiseStrawberries005-2.jpg

Enclosure with screen lids (foil is covering the screens):

TortoiseStrawberries002.jpg

Pillow over the far side of enclosure, and covering the rest of the enclosure. (Main purpose for this was protection from the cats.):

TortoiseStrawberries003.jpg

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Looks like Sherman has a nice healthy appetite! I love the way tortoises literally lay on their food and wade in it while eating; it's a mess but very entertaining to watch.

Are you sure you don't want to add a consistent source of humidity, like the sponge or the sphagnum moss bags, to ensure optimal shell growth for Sherman going forward?

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Stephanie Logan said:
Looks like Sherman has a nice healthy appetite! I love the way tortoises literally lay on their food and wade in it while eating; it's a mess but very entertaining to watch.

Are you sure you don't want to add a consistent source of humidity, like the sponge or the sphagnum moss bags, to ensure optimal shell growth for Sherman going forward?

He has some humidity, yes. His enclosure, the moist Eco Earth, and the heating all help with that.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
I think you and Shermann should get an A++ in the Book of Good Health. He looks grrrrrreat!

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
I am going to get a thermometer/humidity gauge for Sherman's enclosure and for Cricket's enclosure and will post the results!

I know Cricket's enclosure has more humidity, but at the same time, if Sherman is doing so well with the set-up he has now, I don't want to change anything in his.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its always a judgement call. I'm very curious to know what it is now in both enclosures.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Tom said:
Its always a judgement call. I'm very curious to know what it is now in both enclosures.

Now I can't wait to go buy them and find out!

Cricket is already pyramiding a little though, so I hope to stop that in time. Like I said, his enclosure is more humid than Sherman's, and he has a humid hide that seems very humid.-- It's just one of those small plastic igloos made for rodents, but that with the moist Eco-Earth and the heat lamp makes it work nicely as a humid hide.

Sherman doesn't have a humid hide (I know, shame on me!), but he seems to be doing fine without one.... my CDT hatchlings too, but of course I know they are easier.-- Their shells are almost perfect!

I am just afraid if I change things too much in Sherman's, he won't continue to progress nicely. Additionally, Sherman goes outside whenever possible too (almost everday), so it's not like he's in his indoor enclosure 24/7 either. His progress is a mixture of BOTH his indoor and outdoor enclosure conditions.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
It's been a while since I have posted about Sherman, but I was just wondering what everybody thought in regards to his current shell growth?

I can get better pictures if needed... he's kind of dirty in these!

ShelterSulcata066.jpg

ShelterSulcata069.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its staying consistent and looking pretty good. He's grown a lot and he looks healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.