Shell deformity??? Or any other issue? help!

BoredPotato

Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
I got my testudo hermanni few months ago and idk why but only until now I realized he got some sort of cracks on his shell. A bit flaky?

I thought maybe due not enough calcium so I added more to his diet but a week later nothing really changed.

I mostly feed his endive, rucola, watercress and bok choy. Recently also some dandelions cuz they grow everywhere.

He does eat normal and is quite active... anyone experienced enough to identify the problem?

Attachments

• 16239537440316855302412481031594.jpg
    16239537440316855302412481031594.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 42

BoredPotato

Netherlands
I got my testudo hermanni few months ago and idk why but only until now I realized he got some sort of cracks on his shell. A bit flaky?

I thought maybe due not enough calcium so I added more to his diet but a week later nothing really changed.

I mostly feed his endive, rucola, watercress and bok choy. Recently also some dandelions cuz they grow everywhere.

He does eat normal and is quite active... anyone experienced enough to identify the problem?
With the title I forgot to add if it's a process to shell deformity or any other health issues

TaylorTortoise

Abington

Where did you get him/her?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Here's a guide that helps you figure out what subspecies you have. If it's T.h. boettgeri, then it's an eastern.

As for the shell issue, are you using a mercury vapor bulb (MVB)? If so, they run very hot and can cause excessive drying out of the shell. They are not useful for tortoises. Look for a regular incandescent flood bulb.

Other than that, be sure to keep the humidity up in the enclosure to keep the tortoise and shell hydrated. Here's the best info on how to get your tort set up:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Suggest you read the care sheet just posted above to check heat, light, humidity, food, substrate, hydration. Smooth shell growth us what your aiming for. Food should be fresh along with a walk in shallow dish of water and good you add calcium. You only see the return on investment of your care on the new shell growth. I use coconut oil sparingly on the shell to moisturise so you could try that to see if that helps.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Looks like he could do with a daily schedule of long warm soaks. And make sure the humidity is the recommended one for this species.