Shell damage repair

Tortugatron

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Buhl, Idaho
Hello fellow tortoisers. Meet Humpty Dumpty.

KIMG0033.jpg

Humpty is a +/- 13yo male(?) 25lb sulcata that we recently rescued. As far as I can tell, this is his history.

Humpty (previously Franklin), belonged to Family A since purchased as a hatchling. Family A was less than knowledgeable about proper care and maintenance of tortoises and he escaped a few times from their backyard once he outgrew the plastic tub he lived in. Family A then solved the problem in the only way that makes any sense: they tied the three year old tortoise up with a rope to keep him from escaping.

Humpty lived the next nine years of his life with that rope around him, and his shell grew around it. (I know, I know, I grabbed my pitchfork when I heard it too) Family A eventually tired of Humpty, and gave him to Family B.

Family B had more knowledge and experience with sulcatas than Family A, and they took Humpty in and rehabilitated him as best they could. Proper diet, exercise, and hydration had him to normal (well, mostly) tortoise function in no time. They helped to socialize him a bit with humans, and he seemed to be doing great. About that time, (approx. 9 months after rescue from Family A), Family B realized that he was more than they could care for and posted an ad for his rescue, to which I responded and acquired him.

I've had Humpty for about a month now, and I've been watching him closely for hours everyday, plus checking out his activity on the cctv I have near his enclosure after I get home, and he is THE MOST active tortoise I have ever seen. He eats like a starved horse, is moving and tromping around his yard non-stop from sunup to sundown, and is drinking and pooping and peeing like normal. By all standards and evidences, he seems to be a totally normal and healthy tortoise.

My question concerns his shell. Though odd shaped, his shell also seems healthy and hard except for one spot. Here are a few pictures:
KIMG0030.jpg KIMG0032.jpg KIMG0035.jpg

I've examined his shell pretty closely multiple times, and it all appears to be hard and solid, though a bit funky, except for this spot at the top:

KIMG0036.jpg

It's about the size of a nickel, and I've poked around in it a bit and it seems soft, though I haven't really dug into it. I spray him and his enclosure off frequently (as it's quite warm here in Riverside) and that little dent collects water and dust and just pools there. Through very healthy looking now, I fear infection if it is in fact a breach in his hull.

My questions are these: how bad does it look? Is there a safe, at home way to repair and seal damage tortoise shells? I've heard of people using fiberglass and epoxy resin, but the thought of using those chemicals to seal an open wound on myself causes me to shudder. I don't want to hurt him, but I'd rather he stay healthy.

Any tips or suggestions from the veterans would be greatly appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We don't recommend using fiberglass anymore because it seals in germs and may lead to an infection. How about something soft like Play-doh. Then once a week you can pull out the clay and flush out the hole with Chlorhexidine or peroxide, let it dry then put new, clean clay back over it.?????

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hello fellow tortoisers. Meet Humpty Dumpty.

View attachment 133732

Humpty is a +/- 13yo male(?) 25lb sulcata that we recently rescued. As far as I can tell, this is his history.

Humpty (previously Franklin), belonged to Family A since purchased as a hatchling. Family A was less than knowledgeable about proper care and maintenance of tortoises and he escaped a few times from their backyard once he outgrew the plastic tub he lived in. Family A then solved the problem in the only way that makes any sense: they tied the three year old tortoise up with a rope to keep him from escaping.

Humpty lived the next nine years of his life with that rope around him, and his shell grew around it. (I know, I know, I grabbed my pitchfork when I heard it too) Family A eventually tired of Humpty, and gave him to Family B.

Family B had more knowledge and experience with sulcatas than Family A, and they took Humpty in and rehabilitated him as best they could. Proper diet, exercise, and hydration had him to normal (well, mostly) tortoise function in no time. They helped to socialize him a bit with humans, and he seemed to be doing great. About that time, (approx. 9 months after rescue from Family A), Family B realized that he was more than they could care for and posted an ad for his rescue, to which I responded and acquired him.

I've had Humpty for about a month now, and I've been watching him closely for hours everyday, plus checking out his activity on the cctv I have near his enclosure after I get home, and he is THE MOST active tortoise I have ever seen. He eats like a starved horse, is moving and tromping around his yard non-stop from sunup to sundown, and is drinking and pooping and peeing like normal. By all standards and evidences, he seems to be a totally normal and healthy tortoise.

My question concerns his shell. Though odd shaped, his shell also seems healthy and hard except for one spot. Here are a few pictures:
View attachment 133733 View attachment 133734 View attachment 133735

I've examined his shell pretty closely multiple times, and it all appears to be hard and solid, though a bit funky, except for this spot at the top:

View attachment 133736

It's about the size of a nickel, and I've poked around in it a bit and it seems soft, though I haven't really dug into it. I spray him and his enclosure off frequently (as it's quite warm here in Riverside) and that little dent collects water and dust and just pools there. Through very healthy looking now, I fear infection if it is in fact a breach in his hull.

My questions are these: how bad does it look? Is there a safe, at home way to repair and seal damage tortoise shells? I've heard of people using fiberglass and epoxy resin, but the thought of using those chemicals to seal an open wound on myself causes me to shudder. I don't want to hurt him, but I'd rather he stay healthy.

Any tips or suggestions from the veterans would be greatly appreciated!
Love your tort and what a quality name. Glad you've got him now, sounds likes he's had a rough life.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Awwww. Poor fella. Just looking at him makes my side hurt. I don't feel comfortable enough to give any suggestions but just wanna say you are a rock star for doin' right by him! He sure is a good lookin' chap!

Tortugatron

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Buhl, Idaho
We don't recommend using fiberglass anymore because it seals in germs and may lead to an infection. How about something soft like Play-doh. Then once a week you can pull out the clay and flush out the hole with Chlorhexidine or peroxide, let it dry then put new, clean clay back over it.?????
Great, thanks for the tip! I will have to try that. Can I just use standard over the counter hydrogen peroxide, or is there a different grade I should use on animals?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Whatever you can buy in the pharmacy is fine.