Sad but sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBSKUNK

5 Year Member
I am just sharing an article I found:

HUMPTY AND DUMPTY​

The reptiles were discovered in an orchard near Amersham, Bucks, after a member of the public saw them being mauled on June 4.

The two – named Humpty and Dumpty by RSPCA officers – have been wrapped in a special pink plaster cast and dressings which need to be changed every three days while their shells grow back.

They are expected to make a full recovery, although vets at Amey Zoo, near Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, have said their shells are likely to appear slightly deformed.

Veterinary staff also battled to save two other tortoises whose shells were fractured by the dog, but one died soon after being found and the other had to be put down.

RSPCA animal collection officer Kate Cornell has launched an investigation into the incident.

She is caring for the two survivors in her home while the RSPCA tries to track down the owners.

"These tortoises suffered a great deal of pain and trauma.

"We need to find out what happened to them and also if they have an owner out there who is missing them," said Miss Cornell,

"At the moment we don't know if the tortoises were abandoned or had just escaped so any information would be very useful."

She added that Humpty and Dumpty are recuperating well.

"They both seem quite alert and content and are moving around.

"The little one is a bit more feisty and is more difficult to tube feed, while the bigger one is better behaved."

Both are Hermann's tortoises and thought to be around two or three years old.

The breed can be owned as a pet in the UK, but owners must have a certificate proving that it is bred in captivity.
humpty dumpty.jpg

I also attached a picture of a random turtle in a wheelchair:
turtle wheelchair.jpg

p.s.
Seeing an injured animal makes me sad, but check out that SWEET wheelchair!

Last edited by a moderator:

jcooper0311

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Their little pink casts are so cute! It is horrible that a person could injure a helpless animal, but I do hope the torts make a full recovery and they find whoever did that to them.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Awww so adorable! I hope someone on here, near them, adopts them. Where are you located? The UK?

auerdoan

5 Year Member
so cal
It takes a really talented person to do a fix like that on a tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.