shell cracked! urgent!

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Roseville, Minnesota
Hi guys I was away for about 3 days, and I found that borris escaped. I found him, but his shell was slightly cracked. What should I do? I don't think that it's severe enough to take him to the vet, but I feel like I should do something. He fell about 2 1/2 feet. How long is the healing process be and should expect? There is a front crack and a slight one on the side. He is warming up under his lamp right now.

001.JPG 004.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
An update..... he started to crawl around, and doesn't seem to be in much pain. But....... he won't open his eyes. I think he may have just gotten coco fiber in them, but I'm not sure if he injured them or not. He pawed at them, and opened one. There was some eye-mucus, but I'm guessing it was because he was cold so he went into a deep sleep and didn't open his eyes for a while. Not sure if that helps at all.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Some antibiotic ointment will suffice. Clean the area really well first though. It will heal back over time. With new growth I'd suspect a few months it should start sealing up. Keep it cleaned and sealed.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
Some antibiotic ointment will suffice. Clean the area really well first though. It will heal back over time. With new growth I'd suspect a few months it should start sealing up. Keep it cleaned and sealed.
ok. i forgot to clean it first, I already added the neosporin. how should I clean it? just soap and water? use a toothbrush?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
ok. i forgot to clean it first, I already added the neosporin. how should I clean it? just soap and water? use a toothbrush?
Flush it with sterile saline, hydrogen peroxide and dab it with some gauze.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
ok. how do you "flush" something? im kinda clueless.... also should I wait for tomorrow to do that or should i do it now? He's asleep.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Just a nice steady stream of the fluid through the crack of the shell and let it drain out. Dap it with some gauze until it's dry then apply ointment

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
Should I just use a syringe?
that would work great or a empty clean squirty bottle will work fine too . if u can t find any of those fill an ordinary plastic bottle with solution put the cap on and stab a small hole in the bottom with a nail or something similar. when you squash the bottle it will squirt out. hope he feels better soon.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
that would work great or a empty clean squirty bottle will work fine too . if u can t find any of those fill an ordinary plastic bottle with solution put the cap on and stab a small hole in the bottom with a nail or something similar. when you squash the bottle it will squirt out. hope he feels better soon.
Thank you! That should work pretty well

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
If you don't have water bottle either, you can put sterile saline in a ziplock bag twist the bag where the water is and puncher a tiny needle hole at the end squeeze firmly and it will shoot a good stream out of it. Kinda like icing a cake but with sterile saline.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
If you don't have water bottle either, you can put sterile saline in a ziplock bag twist the bag where the water is and puncher a tiny needle hole at the end squeeze firmly and it will shoot a good stream out of it. Kinda like icing a cake but with sterile saline.
Good idea. Also..... I'm assuming you would do the hydrogen peroxide and sterile saline separate? Or would it just be one of the 2?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Of do the saline after the hydrogen peroxide. Peroxide you can do just pouring out of the bottle the. Dap with gauze.