Shell care (shell seems dry)

Cathy Norbury

.The shell on my two year old horsefield appears very dry to me, would appreciate other people's opinions. They are kept on coir and top soil, feed a diet of weeds. The lighting is a mega bulb and reflector. There are two moist hides with spagnam moss. Bathed daily. Calcium and nutrobal used every other day, chalk and cuttlefish available all times. Any advice greatly appreciated xx

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The shell in the picture looks fine to me. If you'll notice, it has a nice luster, similar to what your fingernails look like.

Do a 'search' for Coconut oil. We have a nice thread going on experimenting with extra virgin, cold pressed coconut oil. This might interest you.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I agree with what came above: the shell of your tort looks fine; don't worry. :)

And a very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Cathy Norbury

Thank you for your reassurance Yvonne, animal lady and Gillian much appreciated. Did have a read on the thread re cold pressured coconut oil, will pop it on the back burner at the moment, would be interesting to see if any ill effects are noted in the long term. Also thank you got the welcome, I will hopefully become more knowledgeable and be able to assist others and be a more active member as I learn xxxx

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoises shell, skin and overall condition look great to me. I wouldn't change a thing.

Cathy Norbury

Thank you do much Tom, it does seem very dry to me, however I am very new keeper of tortoises so not too sure as to what is normal. But this is great to hear and I will carry on, thank you again x

Cathy Norbury

Your tortoises shell, skin and overall condition look great to me. I wouldn't change a thing.
Tom sorry don't want to pester, or seem like an over anxious person, just a little bit anxious person lol. But I have noted flaring of the rim of the shell around front sides and back sides I have taken some more photos. Would you please be kind enough to look at them and I promise I put the shell worries to bed xxx

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I looked over the new pics for a minute and I don't see anything but a smooth, healthy, growing, attractive carapace.

You've got a nice looking russian there.

Cathy Norbury

I looked over the new pics for a minute and I don't see anything but a smooth, healthy, growing, attractive carapace.

You've got a nice looking russian there.
Well, I am very happy with that and will not mention it again lol, thank you xxxx

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
What a cute little dude :) Sounds like you're doing a great job -- keep it up! And always feel free to ask more questions! :D