Shell Rot? or Shell Damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuffsTorts

5 Year Member
Is this shell rot? Or damage to the shell, I have a lot of rocky obstacles in the cage. One of my others has what appears to be the start of similar damage in the exact same location.
They are kept on Soil/Coir/Cypress Mulch, about a third the cage is dry being it ramps or sky boxes, then the hides remain moist as well as the substrate elsewhere.
IMG-20101014-00085.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Looks like damage to me. That's the area of the plastron that hits the dirt (wood, concrete, etc) first when dragging on the ground. Its not unusual to see that damage in those locations.

BuffsTorts

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Looks like damage to me. That's the area of the plastron that hits the dirt (wood, concrete, etc) first when dragging on the ground. Its not unusual to see that damage in those locations.

Should I remove some of the rock obstacles? They do have a lot to walk around and over...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
That damage happened quite a while ago as it's all healed and just a bit of dead bone is left on the left side. What ever is in your enclosure didn't do any of that damage. :)

Danny

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
BuffsTorts said:
Should I remove some of the rock obstacles? They do have a lot to walk around and over...

Unless you're having finding upside down torts or you think the obstacles are significantly reducing the amount of usable area your torts have to live in, you can leave them in there. It keeps life interesting for your torts.

BuffsTorts

5 Year Member
chairman said:
BuffsTorts said:

Unless you're having finding upside down torts or you think the obstacles are significantly reducing the amount of usable area your torts have to live in, you can leave them in there. It keeps life interesting for your torts.
After I set the cage up I found my lil girl upside down once, so I tweaked it.
They use ALL the area I give them LOL, up around over, under.... Yeh they make a mess!

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Like others have mentioned that is old damage with the dead bone left behind. In time that will slough off like a hard scab.

Status
Not open for further replies.