Shedding of skin / behoviral itching/ question of shell rot

Metazoa

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I am worried about some recent observations. I will provide you as much information as possible to hopefully get as many helpful comments and replies.

1. General: Chaco, female, 28-30 years old. Lives in Scandinavia (outside during summer, inside during winter). (Picture 1).

2. Enclosure: Lived her whole life in open enclosures with access to livingroom. Enclosure substrate mix of sand and bark, typical repti bark (Picture 2). Seasonal added natural cut grass during summer / leafs during fall, etc. Recently added leca balls (will be removed during next substrate change). Approx 30 cm debth with homogenous substrate. The top 5 cm of the substrate is dry, then a stable moisture can be felt throughout the rest. Access to garden during summer including flat areas/steep hills/grass/rocks/woods/wild flowers etc.

3. Infra red heat lamp (ExoTerra) + Spiral UVB 150 desert bulb (ExoTerra). Bulbs 30 cm above substrate.

4.1. Diet: Summer: Natural greens (clovers, dandelion, fall fruits ++) + calcium when fed inside. Winter: store bought vegetables + home dried greens + calcium + dry formula (occacionally).
4.2. Additives: Repti Calcium with D3 (ZooMed). Tortoise dry formula (T-rex). Indoor food dish is a natural flat rock.

5. Health: Beak trimmed 4 times troughout her life, last trim 1 month ago at vet. Weight stable at 1,2 kg (2.4 lb) last 10 years. Deworming given once 10 years ago (no symptoms but found during fecal vet inspection). Eats and drinks several times troughout the day. Defecates every to every third day. Urinates approx every day. Full soaking bath 1-2 times a week, more often during summer. Walks with straight legs. Clear eyes, clear breathing. No mucus.

6. Behoviral: Reacts normal to hot/cold environment and day/night. Usually digs nests in her enclosure every day, all year around. Digs nests outside during summer. Lays unfertilized eggs without issues 1-3 times a year for the last 10 years. Sleeps with head and limbs outside of shell. "Social" behaviour, walks up to us and accepts cuddles to head, neck and front of shell.

7. Yes, I am aware of the pyramiding. Internet, reptile additives and equipment were not around 28 years ago and the library had a book about marine turtles. Not trying to make any excuses, I am more sorry about it than any of you.

Observation 1. During the last month she has started to shed/flake off some of the scutes on her head. She seems to be shedding but I have never, ever, seen this before.
Today she went up to a garden chair and started to frantically itch her front limbs and sides of her head against the chair. I have never seen her behave this way before. She has already lost some of the scutes on the tip of her nose, and several in the back of the head. A few of them are clearly loose when I touch them, most of them over her eyes. No lost scutes on her limbs.

Observation 2. During growth I have previously seen beige/white color in the lines between the shell scutes. They grow out and turn black (Picture 3). Recently I have noticed an increasing amount of this on the scutes back of the shell (Picture 4), also on the older parts of the scutes (see red circles, Picture 4). It doesn't come of by brushing and doesn't seem like natural wear and tear. It also feels like the groove on her scutes of the back of the shell is groving/getting deeper (Picture 4). Her plastron is stable and unchanged.

Questions: Will the scutes on her head grow out?
Am I looking at shell rot? What can I look for to confirm if it is shell rot or not? Any red flags with the set up or diet that may have caused the changes I am observing?
I was of the impression that she was done growing. Is she still growing and pyramiding?
She behaves normal othervise, but I am worried she may have nutrional lacks; Any knowledge about which blood samples should be examined that directly affects skin/shell health?
Any tips for further examinations?

Am I over reacting over natural behaviour...?

Other comments about the set-up and diet are more than welcome, but please specify if its related to my questions or not.

Thank you for your time!

Attachments

• Picture 1.JPG
    Picture 1.JPG
    560.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Picture 2.JPG
    Picture 2.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • Picture 3.JPG
    Picture 3.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • Picture 4.JPG
    Picture 4.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Observation 1. I think your referring to skin shedding. This is normal and leave alone do not pull off .
Observation 2, I think it is growth lines. We just had/having summer with correct conditions growth normal. Tortoise live for years so they will grow.
Observation 3. Tortoise looks dry. Do you soak? I would rub /wipe coconut oil on the shell and extra in the scutes that look dry. Hydration, diet, enclosure, heat and light are all very important elements to check for well being, if it is rot then you can add athletes foot cream to the scute but try that if not improvement.
I am sure others will also advise.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Fungal shell infections / "shell rot" are common with both Chaco tortoises and Red-footed tortoises in my experience, usually when the shell (in certain places) stays wet or is in contact with wet substrate. Having very deep growth lines like this could possibly allow the infection to get a foothold, but often it shows up first on the plastron. I do not see this issue with other species, for some reason.

I guess it's possible she is still growing, but seems odd for her size and age (normally full size in less than 10 years in captivity). I do suspect there might be some minor infection present, but it's hard to confirm from these photos. If it IS an infection, it will eventually cause erosion or pitting as the affected keratin is destroyed, leaving a white dandruff-like residue behind. If any of these white areas get worse, spread, or seem to be penetrating into the shell, I would treat it by regularly applying anti-fungal creams (that can be obtained without a prescription).

As far as the scale covers shedding, as long as the scales look healthy underneath and not exposing other raw tissue, I would not be concerned.

Steve

Metazoa

5 Year Member
Thank you for your replies!

I will leave the scales on the head alone. The skin under looks healthy.

Yes, she is soaked and bathed 1-2 times every week. It has been a wet summer with rain almost every day. She has access to water all day around. She is not dehydrated.

The white tissue on the growth lines feels somewhat soft and I can peel off small parts here and there, revealing a solid black tissue underneath. It do leave a white dandruff-like residue behind.

Two new questions:

1. I wish to try a fungal cream to be on the safe side. I can get hold of Terbinafin or Mikonazol. Which one should I use? How should it be applied, and for how long should it stay on the shell? How long should treatment be done? What should I observe for during this time?

2. I read a lot of different information. Some state too humid/wet environment causes shell rot, other state the opposite that too dry environment is bad. What is the correct answer here? As I wrote the substrate is dry on the top and naturally more humid the deeper she digs. She is never left with wet sand in between the growth lines.

Her environment has been stable for the last 15 years, with substrate and indoor climate. I find it hard to see what may have caused this now all of the sudden.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Soft shell can be low calcium ensure cuttlefish in the enclosure and calcium power added to leaves. Any cream apply minimum on finger and rub along. Least is best and avoid face area.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Thank you for your replies!

I will leave the scales on the head alone. The skin under looks healthy.

Yes, she is soaked and bathed 1-2 times every week. It has been a wet summer with rain almost every day. She has access to water all day around. She is not dehydrated.

The white tissue on the growth lines feels somewhat soft and I can peel off small parts here and there, revealing a solid black tissue underneath. It do leave a white dandruff-like residue behind.

Two new questions:

1. I wish to try a fungal cream to be on the safe side. I can get hold of Terbinafin or Mikonazol. Which one should I use? How should it be applied, and for how long should it stay on the shell? How long should treatment be done? What should I observe for during this time?

2. I read a lot of different information. Some state too humid/wet environment causes shell rot, other state the opposite that too dry environment is bad. What is the correct answer here? As I wrote the substrate is dry on the top and naturally more humid the deeper she digs. She is never left with wet sand in between the growth lines.

Her environment has been stable for the last 15 years, with substrate and indoor climate. I find it hard to see what may have caused this now all of the sudden.
Tolnaftate is the one I am familiar with, but I think Terbinafin should work too. I will clean as best I can (scrub or debride off any of the whitish material). The cream is to try and kill what I could not remove by scrubbing. I do not wipe off the cream, and I will re apply every two days or so for several weeks. During this time nothing changes visually, success is not seeing anything recur afterwards.

As for environmental factors, I’ve had it show up during times where we had a lot of rain and the soil did not dry out for a several weeks. I have also had bad cases from prior owners didn’t deal with them.

Photo of the plastron?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have a couple of questions...
1. I have always wanted a Chaco tortoise, so if you get tired of her...lemme know!!! lol
2. I have RF and a couple other species, and the white lines, on them, are growth lines. I don't see the other lines on yours.
This is what I think...there are no tortoise keepers in the wild to scrub carapaces, so I personally wouldn't do it. It appears from nature, I'd say leave it alone and watch it, and see if nature takes it away. But I am not an expert, I just have a few...
Thanks for posting, why don't you hang around some and get to know us and maybe learn or have fun along the wayDSCN1784.JPG
Get rid of the sand in the enclosure.
See, Tammy?! Whatd I say??? Tell me whatd I say...

Last edited:

Metazoa

5 Year Member
How dare you assume I will ever turn tired of her!? (see adorable picture)

Plastron looks fine by me.

Attachments

• IMG_6242.JPG
    IMG_6242.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6243.JPG
    IMG_6243.JPG
    779.1 KB · Views: 5