She won't eat anything except romaine lettuce :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian-TortLover

5 Year Member
I recently (a week ago) got a russian tortoise and she wont eat her Rep-Cal tortoise food :( . She only eats romaine lettuce. What should I do? I don't want her to get hungry or get sick. Oh i also tried wetting the tortoise food but it doesn't work either :( . Please help!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I would try a more regular diet for russians, weeds,leaves and flowers of various plants.

MechanicMatt

5 Year Member
Try getting some spring mix from your local grocery store. It has romaine lettuce in it as well as a few other things that your tort may nibble on!

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Don't feed her the romaine and if she gets hungry she'll eat something else. A tortoise won't starve itself of you don't feed it its preferred food.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Russian-TortLover:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I've said it before, and I'll probably say it numerous more times in the future. If your tortoise is in the house, it can only eat what you give it. If you don't provide romaine lettuce, the tortoise can't eat it.

On another note, if I were a steppe tortoise (Russian) I wouldn't eat those fruity pebbles either. Go to the store and buy some leafy greens. You should be able to find turnip greens, dandelion greens, escarole, endive, mustard greens...there are many, many dark, leafy greens to choose from. Just don't buy the same thing every time. Mix it up and give him a nice variety.

Russian-TortLover

5 Year Member
Thanks!!! I will try getting her other stuff i'll get them tomorrow when we go to the market, and i bought her the rep-cal tortoise food because the petsmart employee told me so I guess that was a mistake darn!!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
because the petsmart employee told

Poor babies, they only repeat what they are told....lol...remember that "most" of the employees at the pet stops are essentially sales clerks...and really do not "usually" have much direct experience nor knowledge about most things that they sell in the store....not bad mouthing any one particular person, simply sharing a general observation of my own....

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Sorry you bought the "tortoise" food, but it was atleast not a real expensive lesson. Like was said, just keep giving other greens and weeds, even if you have to keep adding the romaine in until he gets to like all his different foods. Also by variety, we do not mean you necessarily have to give several types of weeds/greens at each meal. You could buy just one bunch of greens like turnip this time, when that runs out, maybe harvest some dandelion greens and mulberry leaves, then next time perhaps it will be collard greens you buy a bunch of and so on.

Russian-TortLover

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Welcome! Sorry you bought the "tortoise" food, but it was atleast not a real expensive lesson. Like was said, just keep giving other greens and weeds, even if you have to keep adding the romaine in until he gets to like all his different foods. Also by variety, we do not mean you necessarily have to give several types of weeds/greens at each meal. You could buy just one bunch of greens like turnip this time, when that runs out, maybe harvest some dandelion greens and mulberry leaves, then next time perhaps it will be collard greens you buy a bunch of and so on.

Yah thanks i'll try that too. :D :)

Status
Not open for further replies.