Sexing Koopa and Troopa

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
Need help in sexing my red foots. Please help if you can. I noticed my larger one keeps mounting my smaller one every now and then, possibly a dominance issue but not sure. Also, Im not aware of their true ages since they were previously owned by a co-worker who bought them both at a Petco when they were both 4 inches even.

Koopa- 8.5 inches (possibly male)
CAM01337.jpg
CAM01338.jpg
CAM01341.jpg
CAM01343.jpg

Troopa- 5.5 inches
CAM01345.jpg
CAM01346.jpg
CAM01347.jpg
CAM01349.jpg
CAM01352.jpg

Last edited:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm going to say two male's. Them big tails are a dead giveaway.

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
I'm going to say two male's. Them big tails are a dead giveaway.
Think so? The big one, maybe. But wouldnt Troopa be too small to tell? Ive read about how to tell em apart, but it seems confusing the way their anal scutes are shaped, like almost intermediate. And besides, dont females have stubby short tails?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
koopa is def male looks like he's got a hourglass shape when view from above

troopa i can't tell honestly maybe to small but i'm no expert. take what i say as a grain of rice. either way beautiful red's

as for the mounting pair's aren't generally recommended for any species even tho red's are very calm compared to some other species some male red's can be quite aggressive towards other torts you may have to separate them

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
As of now I'm saying two male's . The smaller one is not big enough yet to tell 100 % but im sticking with male .

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
koopa is def male looks like he's got a hourglass shape when view from above

troopa i can't tell honestly maybe to small but i'm no expert. take what i say as a grain of rice. either way beautiful red's

as for the mounting pair's aren't generally recommended for any species even tho red's are very calm compared to some other species some male red's can be quite aggressive towards other torts you may have to separate them
Thanks, that helps. And you know, perhaps it could also be age. From what I can tell, they are both still very immature, but as you said, Koopa is showing outward physical signs of being a male.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My first thought was also two males. I would keep a close eye on the mounting incase it is bullying. I don't think it's that it's as common with RF as some other species, but I would still keep an eye out.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Bullying could be why the smaller one is smaller. You may consider separating them if housed together.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I will say two male also. I will be also watching for bullying too.