Sex of my two Herman tortoises

Trace

Location (City and/or State)
Telford
Hi
I have two Hetman tortoises both approx same age and from the same breeder, one is a lot smaller than the other one, weighing in at 219 grams and the larger one at 400, I was wondering if they are the same sex or not.

Attachments

• 6BAA3DB2-51B1-4590-A928-6625B9546457.jpeg
    6BAA3DB2-51B1-4590-A928-6625B9546457.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 47DAD1BE-3723-4D6D-8087-51B2B00E0ADC.jpeg
    47DAD1BE-3723-4D6D-8087-51B2B00E0ADC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are they housed together? If so that's probably why one is much smaller. The other is bullying it. Tortoises should not be housed in pairs. Seperate them if they aren't already.
3 years a little young yet. If one is being bullied, that can slow down it looking Male if it is actually a Male. Right now they look female to me but they all look female when young. Depending on the housing situation one could be slowed to show it's true sex.

Trace

Telford
Are they housed together? If so that's probably why one is much smaller. The other is bullying it. Tortoises should not be housed in pairs. Seperate them if they aren't already.
3 years a little young yet. If one is being bullied, that can slow down it looking Male if it is actually a Male. Right now they look female to me but they all look female when young. Depending on the housing situation one could be slowed to show it's true sex.
There doesn’t seem to be any bullying going on, the smaller one has always been a lot smaller and we did have her a couple of months after the larger one as the breeder was a little worried she was so small , if anything I’d say she is probably the dominant one, thanks for your reply

zolasmum

5 Year Member
They both look female to me, too. I think our Hermann's tail started growing larger fairly early on, though we were not quite sure until he decided to reveal all, when he was 4.
Angie

TaraMaiden

Nottinghamshire UK
They still need to be housed seperate.
Ab friend of mine who has 17 tortoises houses them in an enclosure all together and has not had any problems of fighting or bullying. Naturally, with so many tortoises (Hermann, Spur thigh and Horsefield) she is pretty hands-on and observes them all the time. Providing tortoises have adequate space, it shouldn't be difficult for them to live together. They all shelter in the same "House" too, at night. A clutch of babies she had in 2019 has 'babies' of a marked variety of sizes, yet they were all born at the same time, give or take a day... Not sure why tortoises vary so much as hatchlings form the same clutch though, but there we are...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ab friend of mine who has 17 tortoises houses them in an enclosure all together and has not had any problems of fighting or bullying. Naturally, with so many tortoises (Hermann, Spur thigh and Horsefield) she is pretty hands-on and observes them all the time. Providing tortoises have adequate space, it shouldn't be difficult for them to live together. They all shelter in the same "House" too, at night. A clutch of babies she had in 2019 has 'babies' of a marked variety of sizes, yet they were all born at the same time, give or take a day... Not sure why tortoises vary so much as hatchlings form the same clutch though, but there we are...
Groups can do fine, pairs do not. If your friend has groups of the same species together in a large area with sight barriers, etc then yes that can work. Even then sometimes certain ones need to be pulled out and housed alone. In the wild tortoises do not live in groups. If your friend is housing different species together then that is wrong, dangerous and she is not seeing bullying because she doesn't know what to look for.
Many more years of experience and evidence of pairs going bad on this forum. If you want to risk it, that's of course up to you. Good luck.