Sex again

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
This is a 3 toed box turtle I brought back from a tortoise conservancy, because it's outa shape they were gonna euthanize it...so I brought it back with me. I have been doing everything I know to do, but it was pretty far gone physically. It eats and sleeps and acts normal. every way. It's name is Squoosh Butt100_1901.JPG
I figure it's about 6-7 yrs.I thought it was female, but it mounts this Ornata...Chewy, got her from Y....so male or female??? Gonna trim those nails.

100_1902.JPG100_1899.JPG

She was chewed by a dog and my sister rehabbed her. I named her Chewy...lol

zovick

10 Year Member!
This is a 3 toed box turtle I brought back from a tortoise conservancy, because it's outa shape they were gonna euthanize it...so I brought it back with me. I have been doing everything I know to do, but it was pretty far gone physically. It eats and sleeps and acts normal. every way. It's name is Squoosh ButtView attachment 341570
I figure it's about 6-7 yrs.I thought it was female, but it mounts this Ornata...Chewy, got her from Y....so male or female??? Gonna trim those nails.

View attachment 341571View attachment 341572

I would guess female personally going by the tail morphology. Is the plastron flat or concave? What color are its eyes?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When they're being cared for like that so they grow so deformed the first thing that happens is long, curly nails and shriveled tail. Even with that tail I'm going to say aggressive female. Male three toes don't get a fully concave plastron, but they DO get a little finger tip sized indent. If you don't see that then it's female.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
"Squoosh Butt", I like that.............I don't have any of the clues that you guys do so I will leave that alone. They were going to "off" her for what, because she doesn't have a nice a**? Really? Kudo's to your sister for getting her though the rehab part and I'm glad you have her. She looks fine to me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"Squoosh Butt", I like that.............I don't have any of the clues that you guys do so I will leave that alone. They were going to "off" her for what, because she doesn't have a nice a**? Really? Kudo's to your sister for getting her though the rehab part and I'm glad you have her. She looks fine to me.
No, I re-habbed the ornata. Sis got the three toe from some tortoise conservancy.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
When they're being cared for like that so they grow so deformed the first thing that happens is long, curly nails and shriveled tail. Even with that tail I'm going to say aggressive female. Male three toes don't get a fully concave plastron, but they DO get a little finger tip sized indent. If you don't see that then it's female.
That's what I thought.because of the tail. You taught me that first hand. No the plastron is flat with a nicely formed hinge, but no "lip".

Talkinturtles

Millcreek, utah
This is a 3 toed box turtle I brought back from a tortoise conservancy, because it's outa shape they were gonna euthanize it...so I brought it back with me. I have been doing everything I know to do, but it was pretty far gone physically. It eats and sleeps and acts normal. every way. It's name is Squoosh ButtView attachment 341570

View attachment 341571View attachment 341572

most pets are now overfed and don't get enough exercise. reptiles included. put her on a really high quality diet, the right humidity and temps and make sure she gets time to crawl all over the yard. eventually she should lose some of that weight.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
most pets are now overfed and don't get enough exercise. reptiles included. put her on a really high quality diet, the right humidity and temps and make sure she gets time to crawl all over the yard. eventually she should lose some of that weight.
She's not fat, she wasn't fed correctly or given any UVB...that is MBD you see with the misshapen carapace and black long nails