Sex-crazed Ornata

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I guess it's the time of the year. I found my male T. o. ornata with one of the females this morning, and he was with her for over 3 hours.

IMG_1059-1_zpsr4bcmflk.jpg

This was particularly unique, as the female was the one on her back. Typically the male mounts the female, pushes his back claws between her skin and marginal scutes to hold on, and then flips over. The female may drag the male around during this time in an attempt to dislodge him. However, here, the female has her claws dug into the male and is the one on her back. Very odd, I find myself wondering how this situation happened…?
I guess ornata are explorative with sex positions…?

When they finally separated 3+ hours later, he went right on to the other girl. I guess something can be said for stamina….

IMG_1063-1_zpszswvlzmr.jpg

Eric Zukowski

It that is truly the female on its back I'm shocked I have never seen or heard of that, but have heard of females attempting to mount. Very interesting thanks for sharing.

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
It that is truly the female on its back I'm shocked I have never seen or heard of that, but have heard of females attempting to mount. Very interesting thanks for sharing.

Indeed, I'm pretty confused how that came to be. The only possible explanation is that the male mounted her, hooked his feet in, flipped over, all the typical motions, then somehow the female flipped over and he became upright….Very weird! I have a hard time seeing how that even happened. But the female certainly didn't mount the male, being that it was the male who had his foot hooked onto her.