Serrated hingebacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
Hey guys, so I found an ad last night (honestly can't remember if it was fauna or king snake, but I sent the guy an email) for 4" juvie serrated hingebacks and spent most of the rest of the night looking them up...they look awesome and I am intrigued. Does anyone here keep them? Or have any thoughts/pointers, I'm still trying to decide if I want them so any info would be helpful.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
ShadowRancher said:
Hey guys, so I found an ad last night (honestly can't remember if it was fauna or king snake, but I sent the guy an email) for 4" juvie serrated hingebacks and spent most of the rest of the night looking them up...they look awesome and I am intrigued. Does anyone here keep them? Or have any thoughts/pointers, I'm still trying to decide if I want them so any info would be helpful.
Several of us on this form keep tortoises of the genus kinixys. Serrated hingeback is common name for kinixys erosa. Kinixys homeana aka forest hingeback is very similar and also commonly available right now.
Who are you thinking of purchasing this from? Smaller WC animals do seem to acclimate to captivity better than large adults. Very few hatch out in captivity so chances of a CB animal are slim.
They are often very shy,picky eaters, and carry a heavy parasite load. They also seem to cause stress to their keepers. They need high humidity, low light levels and warm, not hot, temps. They are enjoy ripe fruit, mushrooms and worms.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ShadowRancher said:

DID YOU PULL AN ALLNIGHTER ON THE TFO:D its ok thats normal. You could look up turtletary online and hes got some absolutely beautiful hingebacks and Im sure some info

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree that they are an interesting species. :D That's why I keep them. :D

Unfortunately, still a lot we do not know about them. While we hear more about the Homes being harder to get started, for some reason the major problem with Erosa, seem to come more out of the blue once you have had these guys for many months. Several folks I have heard of have lost entire groups with no warning. :(

Now with that being said, I actually like my Erosa groups the best. They are in my opinion, pickier and less willing to put up with conditions they don't like. They really really want that humidity to be high. They do seem to be pickier also about what foods they will eat. With work, you can usually get them on a much wider variety, which they eat well on. I know a keeper or two, that keep theirs on a very limited variety of what I think of as more their candy type choices. The tortoises are living, seeming to thrive, but I worry about long term issues.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Thanks, I've found some really good info I think...haven't heard back from the guy to ask questions yet but I'll definitely post when I decide what to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.