Seed mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Noob questons: Good for Sulcata's as well? Do I need to give them calcium powder too? If I do should I give them the calcium powder w/out phosphorous and w/out D3 or the Calcium w/D3?

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...If they are outside in the sun you do not need the D3.
Patsy

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you very much... they're housed indoors but i take them out in the sun for at least 20min sometimes more

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
dcoolguy68 said:
Thank you very much... they're housed indoors but i take them out in the sun for at least 20min sometimes more

Most of my tortoises live outside 24/7, but occasionally I have to over winter some inside. I use plain old 60 watt incandescent bulbs. IMHO if the tortoise has access to SOME sun, maybe at least an hour a week, then the D3 isn't necessary.

On this same subject: We are so conscious of the D3 for our tortoises, yet there is a commercial for vitamins for people that stresses it has D3 in it. Aren't we worried we will OD ourselves if we take vit. supplements that contain D3?

Yvonne

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Cool Dude ~

I've never tried this brand, altho it sure looks like it grows a better variety and amount than the one I currently use; if you get the same results as the pics show on the website, lemme know, wouldya?

I'd surely appreciate it!
Thanx & enjoy your day,
Purpod

DozersMom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
In order for a tortoise to absorb the calcium they need vitamin D. With out Vitamin D little or no calcium will be absorbed. They need calcium reguardless of them being indoors or outdoors. Added Phosphorous is NOT good because they get anough of it in their diet. It can cause other health problems. You can buy RepCal Calcium Supplement without phosphorous.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I bought them pure calcium w/out D3 and w/out phosphorous.

DozersMom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
you can do that. But watch them closley 90% of tortoises wont be able to absorb enough calcium with out the vitamin D.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Cool Guy ~

Once again, if your torts are getting natural sunlight, there is no need to worry about vitamin D, as it will be naturally produced.

Quote from the Henry Mayo Clinic:
"The sun also contributes significantly to the daily production of vitamin D, and as little as 10 minutes of exposure is thought to be enough to prevent deficiencies."

Quote from the Medical College of Wis: "Exposure to sunlight is an important source of vitamin D. Ultraviolet (UV) rays from sunlight trigger vitamin D synthesis in the skin."

So, no worries about a deficiency if you have your tort out in the sunlight, as Yvonne & Patsy noted. Sounds to me like you're doing just fine, Bud.

Enjoy your Sunday~
Purpod

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you so much Purpod, I always take them out in the sun; especially since I'm waiting for my new UV light to come in on thursday since the exo terra turned out to be horrible. But now i feel better knowing that the sun is doing them good.the weather changes a lot now in California so I just bought them hay, but i will try out the seed mix at another time because my friends dad owns a flower shop so im asking her if she has any of the plant seeds i need, but if she doesn't have any then ill order the seed mix and some grass mix also and ill let you know how it goes.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
lol, Yes, our weather has been a full-on rollercoaster ride, eh? And sure, no problem ~

Be well ~
Purpod

DozersMom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FYI,
I went to Lowes to pick up my bag of uncoated fescue mix that i ordered, and I looked at the coated seeds, They state Not for feeding. so i know before i said i wasnt sure but to be on the safe side dont feed them coated... DOnt feed them coated. They coating is made up of fertilizers and pesticides!

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
DozersMom said:
FYI,
I went to Lowes to pick up my bag of uncoated fescue mix that i ordered, and I looked at the coated seeds, They state Not for feeding. so i know before i said i wasnt sure but to be on the safe side dont feed them coated... DOnt feed them coated. They coating is made up of fertilizers and pesticides!

***Just to be sure you are doing it right...you don't feed the seeds to the torts, you plant them in dirt, then feed the plants to them!
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.