second larget tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForestExotics

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
USA
I would like to know what is the second largest tortoise?

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Although aldabras are the second largest, I have read somewhere they are pretty much the same size. I will have to look for that article...

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
According to wikipedia Galops are the largest at 660 # but they also tell of an Aldabra at the Ft. Worth zoo at 773#? Of course the size of Galops is dependent on ssp while in Aldabras we are looking at one sp and don't forget the two newly rediscovered Seychele island torts. I think with these animals it probably comes down to individual animals or maybe an average size within a species or subspecie.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Itort said:
According to wikipedia Galops are the largest at 660 # but they also tell of an Aldabra at the Ft. Worth zoo at 773#? Of course the size of Galops is dependent on ssp while in Aldabras we are looking at one sp and don't forget the two newly rediscovered Seychele island torts. I think with these animals it probably comes down to individual animals or maybe an average size within a species or subspecie.

Thanks, but I still want to find the article... But I wonder how they determined the sizes, who is the largest and so on, they must take an average and that is how they decided. Anyhow the aladbra is the second largest right now, but with the torts Itort said, that might change.

Here is a link to an article about the torts ITort was talking about... http://members.aol.com/jstgerlach/tortoise.htm if your interested..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
COLLECTOR said:
I would like to know what is the second larges[/u]t tortoise?

It depends upon which article you are reading. The first article I read (after GOOGLing) was about Galapagos tortoises and it said that they are the largest as they can grow to be over 600lbs.

The next article I read was about Aldabrans and it said that Aldabrans are the largest, as they can grow to be over 600lbs.!!!!!

So, I would say they are 1 and 2, but who knows which is 1 and which is 2. Some folks get down right nasty about arguing which is the biggest, but I say, so what. They're BOTH BIG!!!

Yvonne

ForestExotics

10 Year Member!
USA
Cool I seen a few aldabra tortoise's for sale

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Make sure whoever you buy from is reputable, when your spending that much you want a good person to work with. If your really serious about getting one or two and you have plenty of space You might want to contact EJ (Ed) he might have some left.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Curiosity requires I ask this, how large an enclosure do you keep one these guys in?

Chipdog

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Columbus Ohio
From all the info I have found the only difference between the Galops and the Aldabs is the Aldabs have a nuchal scute. The size seems to be pretty much the same.

I keep my two in my backyard. They have plenty of room to roam since the are only about 9 inches yet.

ForestExotics

10 Year Member!
USA
Chipdog said:
From all the info I have found the only difference between the Galops and the Aldabs is the Aldabs have a nuchal scute. The size seems to be pretty much the same.

I keep my two in my backyard. They have plenty of room to roam since the are only about 9 inches yet.

I read that also

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Everyfhing I've read leads me to conclude that they are the same size. So would that make the sulcatta second largest?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Of course, the Sulcata is only #3 if you ignore the 'extinct in the wild' Seychelle Giant Tortoise and the Arnold's Giant Tortoise, which, considering recent DNA studies, may be the right thing to do.

A lot of the debate over #1 and #2 is how you define your terms- are you looking for species averages or largest known, does weight mean more than length, etc.

Sunrise

5 Year Member
who is the #4? I read on the web some stated Emys, some stated Pardalis. So which one is true?

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Galap
Aldab
Sulcata
Leopard

Chipdog said:

I have also found that aldabs have smooth front limbs and a more pointed nose, whereas galaps have a very rough "scalely" front limbs, and a more square-ish head.

also not all aldabs have the nuchal scute, but no galaps have them either.

thats just my own personal research so far, and my personal observations

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Neither of those is #4 :p

#4 is the Yellowfoot tortoise at 82cm and 129lbs
#5 is the Leopard tortoise at 78cm and 123lbs

I'm afraid the number one tortoise is the Galapagos tortoise :D The longest measured was 150cm. The heaviest was Goliath, who measured 136cm and weighed 920lbs. I can imagine something 150cm would be pushing 1,000lbs
The largest Aldabra was 140cm and 770lbs. :)

Danny

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
egyptiandan said:

I'm afraid the number one tortoise is the Galapagos tortoise :D The longest measured was 150cm. The heaviest was Goliath, who measured 136cm and weighed 920lbs. I can imagine something 150cm would be pushing 1,000lbs

Danny

Such an interesting thread! Where can I find the best pictures of these humongous tortoises?

I must check out the Yellowfoot and Leopard sections to hunt for pictures of these relative heavyweights as well!:D

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Stephanie Logan said:
egyptiandan said:

Danny

Such an interesting thread! Where can I find the best pictures of these humongous tortoises?

I must check out the Yellowfoot and Leopard sections to hunt for pictures of these relative heavyweights as well!:D

Pictures will be a nice start, but after seeing the Aldabras and even Dudley at Yvonne's, pics can't hold a candle to giving you an idea of the real size of them. They are huge and Yvonne's Aldabras are still very young.

Status
Not open for further replies.