Search Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
Doesn't work at all on my iphone 5 or iPad,... Heck for a time before the upgrade all the program would do is crash :) but its improving

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
It sounds like we're having several issues at once here...
The search was updated in March. The update was supposed to free up resources on our server - search takes A LOT of processing power, and there are a lot of us using search. The new search software updates once nightly so posts and threads from two hours ago will not show up in search results until after the update runs in the middle of the night. There are issues with the app connecting to our new search software - I'm aware of this issue and we are working to fix it. The Google search boxes (the search fields on THIS very page that say "Search Tortoise Forum") use Google's index to provide you with search results. They index most of our pages but not all.
If any of you are getting specific error messages or pop-ups and can take a screenshot or copy/paste the exact text from your error, that is always extremely helpful.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Josh have you been able to look into this issue? Now I am not able to perform any searches. I searched for "leopard" and received no results.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Neal:

At the top of every page just under the line that says, "Forums, Portal, Search, Guidelines, etc" there is a box with "Google Custom Search" written in very light printing. Use that box for your searches. It works great every time. It comes back with many "finds," but the most recent is always at the top. I love that search feature.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yvonne, please read post #20. I've tried this and I don't think it works fine. It returns the threads with titles that contain the search criteria first, which is OK, but I'm more interested in the individual posts. I have looked, but have not able to find a way to customize the search results to show the most recent threads first using the google search bar.

The old search feature used to return the threads that contained recent posts with the search criteria and this worked well.

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I'm working on it. Our built-in (non Google) search uses Sphinx search which is what is causing the hangup right now.

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
The search should now be properly functioning, please confirm! Thank you for your patience!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It works, but it works just like the Google search feature in that it only returns the thread titles with the search criteria. In the past the search would return threads with posts that contained your search criteria despite the thread title. Know what I mean?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh...I think I know what you mean...say the thread title is "Building a better mousetrap" and you remember that in that thread someone mentioned where they bought XYZ brand paper towells. So you wanted to find that post to see where they bought the towells. You search for XYZ paper towells and it doesn't come up because its not what the subject title is about?????

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Exactly. This is how the built in search feature used to work, but hasn't since about March of this year for me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Neal said:
Exactly. This is how the built in search feature used to work, but hasn't since about March of this year for me.

Yes, I remember now. And all your answers that came up would have your search word highlighted in the body of the text.

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Working on getting a full search index of posts too.
A workaround for now is adding "site:tortoiseforum.org" to your google search queries

Status
Not open for further replies.