Scute openings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssydney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
Just recently noticed an opening in her scute (I think it's called) and lines on the back one, and a smaller one on the other side. Should I be worried or is this just an indent? Sorry for bad quality pictures.

image-3273741773.png

image-1776831243.png

image-1535550659.png

image-306242455.png

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What I see is a shell that is growing, while pyramiding is continuing to occur, the shell is simply growing.....

I would really suggest that you cover part of (3/4) top as soon as possible, you can use a piece of wood, a piece of plastic, the lid that came with the tub (cut to cover at least 3/4 of the top)--a number of things can be used...this will allow some humidity to remain, I just looked at your pics from June and the pyramiding from them to now really appears to be gaining on you....please understand that I am simply making an observation and sharing that with you and am IN NO way trying to offend or hurt your feelings in any way....just mentioning so that you can perhaps fix the situation before it progresses (I have two juvenile RFs that are badly pyramided and when I adopted them they had pretty set pyramiding--however, their new growth is beginning to come in much much better and I live in the high desert)....pyramiding is the bone of the shell also growing under the shell bumpy as you see the shell, so yes there is a reason to get the pyramiding under control to assure the density of the shell grows as solid as possible...

I also would change out the substrate to a peat moss;

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/premier-30-cu-ft-peat-moss-70976040.html#.UDj-phU4PSE

I also noticed in your prior post that you mentioned you do not like the fact that the soil type substrate sticks to the tort and gets tracked into the water....well, please remember that you are housing a tortoise...a critter that thrives in and on the earthen dirt :D...they thrive on mucking about in that dirt, throwing it all over the place, burying ones self under it--sometimes taking a taste or two of it.....it would be beneficial for your tort to have this opportunity and will also aid you in retaining some humidity that your tort really needs and requires....:D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The on-going pyramiding is a concern. While humidity is just one aspect of why tortoises do this, it is also a big aspect in Arizona and other dry climates- you have to work a lot harder at it then us folk from more humid places would.

I don't remember your other posts. Can you refresh our memories?

ssydney

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Madkins007 said:
The on-going pyramiding is a concern. While humidity is just one aspect of why tortoises do this, it is also a big aspect in Arizona and other dry climates- you have to work a lot harder at it then us folk from more humid places would.

I don't remember your other posts. Can you refresh our memories?

I had varies posts about enclosures, age, gender, how to care.

What is a recommended substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.