screech noise

Michelle85

Location (City and/or State)
San Jose Ca
Hey guys have you heard of baby sulcata's making screech like noises? My good friend has a baby and she said sometimes it makes screaming noises..... Is it a bad?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
it's hard to say whether is bad or not but it's definitely unusual

DonatelloTheSulcata

Mine does that too sort of when he gets in water, like putting your teeth above your lip and slowly breathing in so it makes a screeching sort of sound, its just the sound they make sometimes it eventually goes away its slowly going away for mine

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes its bad. They don't normally make any noise, except for an adult male while breeding. At any age they can make a "whoosh" noise if they retract their head quickly in a startle response, but at no time should there be screeching.

Without knowing any details, I can tell you the two most common causes would be constipation due to dehydration because most people mistakenly believe this is a desert species and they don't soak them enough or house them correctly, and Respiratory infection from not being kept warm enough, especially at night.

Are either of these a possibility?

Does your friend soak the baby daily, house it with humidity and damp substrate, keep it warm at night with a CHE or black light and a thermostat?

Also, what sort of UV light is being used indoors? The coil types can burn their eyes. Probably wouldn't cause screeching, but it does hurt them.

Michelle85

San Jose Ca
She does not soak everyday. I let her read your care sheets but she said 2x a week is enough. I'll let her know it's bad hopefully she will listen.