Sulcata Tortoise, Whistling?

Abby7

5 Year Member
Hi, I have a female, 9-10 year old African Sulcata Tortoise and recently, she's been wheezing/making slight whistling sounds about once or twice an hour, but only at night, when she is usually sleeping (I have never heard her make this noise before). I am not quite sure if she is asleep, but she normally is. This has been happening for the past 2 nights in a row, and when I do hear these noises, sometimes she stirs a little. She is usually inside of her a little house, so I cannot really check to see whether or not she is asleep without picking her up. I also believe that recently, just once, I heard her make a loud sound that almost sounded like crying?

Other than that, she is very normal, extremely active during the day (I don't hear these noises during the daytime), and she eats a lot. However, she has not defecated for about 2-3 days now.

Besides that, I read on some forums that this noise could be that she has a respiratory infection, so I am a bit worried.

batchick

5 Year Member
Do you have a vet near you? Sounds like an RI. I would take her in just to be on the safe side.

Abby7

5 Year Member
Do you have a vet near you? Sounds like an RI. I would take her in just to be on the safe side.

Is this dangerous for the tortoise? I don't currently have any way to take her to a vet.. are there other signs to look for, to make sure?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
could be an RI could be something simply stuck in her throat making the sound. other signs to look for lethargy loss of appetite discharge from nose open mouth breathing that is a bad one

Alaskamike

South Florida
My Sulcatas especially make sounds. Mine do it when eating. I don't know if it's gulping , burping or what.
Signs of respatory infection would be ; runny nose, blowing bubbles, excessive leg pumping to breathe ( they do this anyway so it would be more than normal) Lethargy, not eating, puffy eyes. They won't have all these, but any one would indicate a problem.

I also recently found out from @Tom that one way to diagnose RI is to place tort in water deep enough to float. If they list to one side it could indicate water in the lungs.

Good fortune with your tort. I hope it's nothing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I also recently found out from @Tom that one way to diagnose RI is to place tort in water deep enough to float. If they list to one side it could indicate water in the lungs.

This was taught to me as a way of checking for pneumonia, not RI.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I have a female, 9-10 year old African Sulcata Tortoise and recently, she's been wheezing/making slight whistling sounds about once or twice an hour, but only at night, when she is usually sleeping (I have never heard her make this noise before). I am not quite sure if she is asleep, but she normally is. This has been happening for the past 2 nights in a row, and when I do hear these noises, sometimes she stirs a little. She is usually inside of her a little house, so I cannot really check to see whether or not she is asleep without picking her up. I also believe that recently, just once, I heard her make a loud sound that almost sounded like crying?

Other than that, she is very normal, extremely active during the day (I don't hear these noises during the daytime), and she eats a lot. However, she has not defecated for about 2-3 days now.

Besides that, I read on some forums that this noise could be that she has a respiratory infection, so I am a bit worried.

Abby, Where are you?
How is your sulcata housed?
Where does the tortoise stay at night?
How are you heating her at night and what is the over night low temp?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

I agree with those who said it's probably RI.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom. Thanks for that clarification. But wouldn't an RI involve fluid in lungs simulate to pneumonia ?

I don't know if an RI would indicate fluid in the lungs. That is not my understanding of what the term means, but a good reptile vet would be a much better person to answer this.

@deadheadvet , Would you shed some light on this subject for us? Eradicate my ignorance again please.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
As I understand it, and I expect I am about to get shot down in flames by @deadheadvet , but RI is any respiratory problem.
There are two types, upper respiratory tract infections that get to the nares and tubes that lead though the head and throat (runny nose and so on) and lower respiratory tract infections that infect the lungs and may lead to liquids building up there and this, i think, would include pneumonia which may lead to the tortoise swimming lopsidedly.
Obviously a lot of the symptoms are the same for both types of RI.
Ok, parachute ready.
Abby, why can't you take her to a vet, if i may ask ?

Abby7

5 Year Member
Abby, Where are you?
How is your sulcata housed?
Where does the tortoise stay at night?
How are you heating her at night and what is the over night low temp?

I am in California and I normally let her roam around on my balcony all day, but I take her inside at night time. The temperature during the day is normally 76-82 degrees Fahrenheit in my area. I do not heat her at night, but I would say that the temperature in my room is roughly around the 80's, since I do not use the AC.

I also read over what @Alaskamike said about signs of RI, and she does not have runny nose or discharge of any type coming from her nose, nor is she blowing bubbles. These sounds only come maybe once or twice an hour, but I am definitely worried. I only hear them during the night-time and I watch her during the day-time and she is usually silent as she walks around/eats.

Abby7

5 Year Member
could be an RI could be something simply stuck in her throat making the sound. other signs to look for lethargy loss of appetite discharge from nose open mouth breathing that is a bad one

Okay, thank you. Her appetite has not diminished at all and she does not breathe from her mouth

Abby7

5 Year Member
As I understand it, and I expect I am about to get shot down in flames by @deadheadvet , but RI is any respiratory problem.
There are two types, upper respiratory tract infections that get to the nares and tubes that lead though the head and throat (runny nose and so on) and lower respiratory tract infections that infect the lungs and may lead to liquids building up there and this, i think, would include pneumonia which may lead to the tortoise swimming lopsidedly.
Obviously a lot of the symptoms are the same for both types of RI.
Ok, parachute ready.
Abby, why can't you take her to a vet, if i may ask ?

I am a college student with no car, so I cannot take her to a vet until I find someone willing to take me. I have also looked up bus routes, so I may resort to those soon, if they allow her on the bus.

Abby7

5 Year Member
My Sulcatas especially make sounds. Mine do it when eating. I don't know if it's gulping , burping or what.
Signs of respatory infection would be ; runny nose, blowing bubbles, excessive leg pumping to breathe ( they do this anyway so it would be more than normal) Lethargy, not eating, puffy eyes. They won't have all these, but any one would indicate a problem.

Good fortune with your tort. I hope it's nothing.

As of right now, she hasn't displayed any signs (the ones you listed above). I've been watching her carefully and I will continue to. I hope it's nothing as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am in California and I normally let her roam around on my balcony all day, but I take her inside at night time. The temperature during the day is normally 76-82 degrees Fahrenheit in my area. I do not heat her at night, but I would say that the temperature in my room is roughly around the 80's, since I do not use the AC.

I also read over what @Alaskamike said about signs of RI, and she does not have runny nose or discharge of any type coming from her nose, nor is she blowing bubbles. These sounds only come maybe once or twice an hour, but I am definitely worried. I only hear them during the night-time and I watch her during the day-time and she is usually silent as she walks around/eats.

Is there a warm spot in the sun to warm up on your balcony? Many people are surprised to find out temperatures when they actually measure, which is what I strongly suggest you do since you are seeing what might be the start of a respiratory infection. Even if it is warm enough right now, it won't be in another couple weeks or months when winter arrives.

I don't mean to pry, but CA is an awfully big place. You'l get different and more appropriate advice if we have a better idea of your climate. San Francisco is very different than Palm Springs, for example… Can you give us a little more of a hint, but still remain vague enough for your comfort level?

Abby7

5 Year Member
Is there a warm spot in the sun to warm up on your balcony? Many people are surprised to find out temperatures when they actually measure, which is what I strongly suggest you do since you are seeing what might be the start of a respiratory infection. Even if it is warm enough right now, it won't be in another couple weeks or months when winter arrives.

I don't mean to pry, but CA is an awfully big place. You'l get different and more appropriate advice if we have a better idea of your climate. San Francisco is very different than Palm Springs, for example… Can you give us a little more of a hint, but still remain vague enough for your comfort level?

Yes, there is normally a warm spot on my balcony where she likes to bask in the sun after she's done walking around. Today, there isn't, but I would say 3 out of 5 days, there is a spot for her.

I currently have her in the San Diego area (La Jolla, more specifically).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, there is normally a warm spot on my balcony where she likes to bask in the sun after she's done walking around. Today, there isn't, but I would say 3 out of 5 days, there is a spot for her.

I currently have her in the San Diego area (La Jolla, more specifically).

Got it.

The closer you are to the beach the more of a problem you might have. Beach weather is too cold and clammy for sulcatas. Sounds like you might need a heated shelter and a proper heated enclosure inside.

Abby7

5 Year Member
Got it.

The closer you are to the beach the more of a problem you might have. Beach weather is too cold and clammy for sulcatas. Sounds like you might need a heated shelter and a proper heated enclosure inside.

I see, I was wondering if the temperature would be too low for her. What would you suggest that I do for her in order to create this heated shelter? Sorry for the many questions, I am pretty concerned right now and I am new to this whole thing.

Also, do you really believe that her making sounds at night is really the start of an RI? I will try to get her to a vet ASAP, but I am not sure when I can just yet.