Saran Wrap

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I have two Zoo Med tortoise houses hooked together for my one year old leo. For humidity (since I can't find a humidifier that doesn't break in a month or less) I wrap the top lids with seran wrap. I use a PowerSun on one side where there's an opening in the lid, and on the other side I use a tube style bulb placed on top of the seran wrap. Question is - do the UVB rays from the tube bulb penetrate through the seran wrap and make it to my lil guy's shell?

My leo has finally discovered his heat rock (below the tube bulb) on the opposite end of his enclosure and has decided he likes it better than basking under his PowerSun. I just want to make sure he's getting the UVB he needs.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: Seran Wrap

The UV rays bounce which is why the rays don't penetrate certain materials. The Seran wrap is a barrier that will bounce off most, if not all the rays.

How long have you used a heat rock? Is it the corded rock stores sell for snakes?

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
RE: Seran Wrap

Thanks for the answer - guess I'll be attaching the bulb below the seran wrap ;)

Have only been using the heat rock for a little over a month - it's the one that has a dial control so I can adjust the temp as needed (and also so it doesn't burn the animal).

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

I would worry about the plastic wrap....you can use Yvonnes stylish aluminum foil wrap :)D) which I use as well....it works well...and no melt hazard.

I would also not place a barrier between the uv rays and the tortoise...perhaps you can simply make sure there is nothing between the light and modify your wraps?

I would also be sure to sink that heat rock if you are going to use it...you do not want your tort to become heat rock addicted nor do you want him to injure himself by any subtle/slow burns....perhaps you can move the rock closer to the basking light (torts need heat coming to them from above vs plopped on heat only) and really have a choice spot...(but remember, torts will often remain on a heat rock and will avoid moving to the basking heat light once they become addicted to the rock...the heat rock is generally not enough to heat the entire tort up to allow proper function, it usually heats where the tort is touching, so the tort is rarely motivated enough to actually move to the more effective heat basking spot)...

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio

Thanks for the info, ascott. Glad I didn't pay too much for the heat rock. Sounds like I'll be removing it soon, because, yes, my leo sure has taken to that rock. He loves it, but I'm not going to let him love it if it's not good for him. My intention with the rock was for it to act as a small "heater" for the opposite end of the enclosure, this way the temps don't fall too low in that area.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas

You can still make use of the heat rock as a heater. Just put it up on a "shelf" or behind a barrier so the little guy can't get on top of it or too close to it. There is no need to waste it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

My intention with the rock was for it to act as a small "heater" for the opposite end of the enclosure,

I totally get it....so if you try to bury it down into the substrate some you can see what he does? There are also heat cables that you can get that you can bury deep into the substrate and will do exactly what you are talking about....but, perhaps you can give the rock a bury and see what happens? I would totally just stay on a heated rock too---lol--especially since it was 19 degrees this am when my son and I drove him to school....I would totally become a heated rock addict if I could :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

You can try standing the rock up on the length-side edge up against the wall of the habitat. Leaning on the wall like that, he can sit next to it, but he can't sit on it. Also, it will provide the heat you're looking for at the far end of the habitat.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Just put it up on a "shelf" or behind a barrier so the little guy can't get on top of it or too close to it.

You can try standing the rock up on the length-side edge up against the wall of the habitat. Leaning on the wall like that, he can sit next to it, but he can't sit on it

Fantastic stuff :D

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio

Yvonne G said:
You can try standing the rock up on the length-side edge up against the wall of the habitat. Leaning on the wall like that, he can sit next to it, but he can't sit on it. Also, it will provide the heat you're looking for at the far end of the habitat.

Good idea - I might try that!

However, I was also thinking - would it be better if I used the heat rock for my Eastern boxie? Or do the same standards apply (won't thoroughly heat her either?)? wasn't sure how much more different a heat rock would be for a turtle versus a tortoise. I know my boxie needs much lower temps at night, etc.