Sami is gone:'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
I let Sami outside today since it was warmer out. I let her out frequently as she is indoors right now and we are working on her outside enclosure. Within 5mins, she was completely gone. I always check on her. It was no more than 5mins. I just wanted her to get some exercise and natural sun. Inam thinking she either got stuck in some plants we have out there or into our left neighbors yard. I spent an hour looking. I put her indoor enclosure outside with the light since it is getting dark. Maybe she will be attracted to it. I am so utterly heartbroken. Please, if you would send prayers/good vibes my way. I just don't know how this happened in 5mins. I was just trying to be a good pet owner.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I know it's hard to do, but take some deep breathes and relax a little. Stop beating yourself up. These critters are great at the disappearing routine and we have all lost one or two for a while. Most of the time these guys are closer then you think. Get down on their level and feel around with your hands, especially under things like plant clumps. How cold is it suppose to be tonight?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So, sorry. They are quick little buggers, when they want to be. As Jacqui said, best to get down on hands and knees. So you can look and feel. I know when I loose my leopard in his enclosure, that I know he can't get out of, I still panic. He blends in more then you could imagine. Sometimes feeling for him is how I have to find him. Most of the time I find him in a place I looked at a few times, but never saw him. Hopefully it won't get too cold tonight and you will find him basking in the sun tomorrow, if not before. Also look further then you think he will go. It's amazing how far they can go in a short time. Fingers crossed and good vibes coming your way.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Yes I basically tore the garden up on my hands and knees searching. I even went to my next door neighbors house and looked all around there. They said they will call me if they see her. I'm scared she got stuck in the lantana plants and firecracker ferns. We have such an enormous garden back there. I always keep her away from things until I know if she can eat them but I just found out those two are toxic. Do you think if she's somewhere in there she will eat it? Or do they somehow know its toxic? God I'm a crying worried mess.
It's suppose to go down into the mid 60s tonight. I've got loads of homework to do so I'm going to try and just check every little bit outside but try and focus on that. I've done everything I could do. I even stuck towels in the bits of holes on the left fence just incase. It's dark now so I'm just going to have to pray and keep checking the porch where her heat MVB is now and check again tomorrow.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Zabbi0 said:
Yes I basically tore the garden up on my hands and knees searching. I even went to my next door neighbors house and looked all around there. They said they will call me if they see her. I'm scared she got stuck in the lantana plants and firecracker ferns. We have such an enormous garden back there. I always keep her away from things until I know if she can eat them but I just found out those two are toxic. Do you think if she's somewhere in there she will eat it? Or do they somehow know its toxic? God I'm a crying worried mess.
It's suppose to go down into the mid 60s tonight. I've got loads of homework to do so I'm going to try and just check every little bit outside but try and focus on that. I've done everything I could do. I even stuck towels in the bits of holes on the left fence just incase. It's dark now so I'm just going to have to pray and keep checking the porch where her heat MVB is now and check again tomorrow.

They tend to be pretty good at ignoring the toxic plants, not 100% of the time, but most of the time. She'll be okay in the mid 60s overnight. She may even dig herself a little burrow if she gets cold. Hopefully she'll pop up soon.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Do not beat yourself up with worry and self doubt. Dry those tears. Sami will be fine. The temps are not going to be real low, so that's good. Once the sun comes out in the morning things will look better and chances are so much better at finding her.

Hey, I had an adult redfoot I lost in her enclosure a couple of years back. My husband helped me look, I was on my hands and knees searching and no tortoise could be found. I knew she could not get out of her enclosure, but I still worried. Next morning there she was. Never figured out where she had hidden herself, but she did.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Have you considered the possibility of having your dog Cinnamon find Sami for you. If the dog follows instruction well and knows the scent of Sami; it might be worth a try.

There are dogs that have been trained to locate box turtles for research purposes.

Good luck!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I wish you luck finding her. You are in my thoughts. Good luck and keep us posted.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
WillTortoise said:
Have you considered the possibility of having your dog Cinnamon find Sami for you. If the dog follows instruction well and knows the scent of Sami; it might be worth a try.

There are dogs that have been trained to locate box turtles for research purposes.

Good luck!

My dog is incredibly old and never even pays a second thought to Sami. My cat however has been out there all night. She is totally and completely momma cat and watches her 24-7. She loves her- as crazy as it sounds- she is so mama kitty. She knows Sami is gone. She's either outside looking or right next to me bc she knows I am hurtin. I will continue looking. Thank you everyone for the support. I needed it.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I am so sorry this happened to you. Maybe a flashlight at night would help? The dog is a good idea too. Keep us posted.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I am so sorry, i cant imagine how you feel. I would be a crying mess...you will find your little one. Prayers to St. Anthony that you find Sami....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yup, try to be out in the am when the sun is coming up and watch where it moves....keep and eye out from sun up for about an hour after--looking in all of the warmest spots.....lots of prayers your way...

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Thanks all.

I'm here camping out on my porch with a book. I plan to be out here all night. I'm just way too upset to sleep. I looked at our fence and neighbor to the left's fence and I don't think there's any way she can get out of either my backyard or theirs. I'm just scared she is stuck in our mess of a garden which has toxic plants. I've spent 2 hours looking with my mom & we just aren't seeing her. Or even hearing her. I would tear all the plants out of the ground if my dad wouldn't murder me. He does not like Sami. I just have to keep looking. Thanks again for all your support. You all have made me feel better than my own family. They are just always annoyed by her and think I'm an idiot for loving a tortoise.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
A few years back one of my greek tortoise got out of it outside enclosure.
with a creek going thru our yard a corn field across the road from our house and a river behind us I thought there was a slim chance that I would ever
find him and 4 days later there he was in our yard about 40 feet from his
enclosure. Don't give up and would think once the sun comes out and warms
up a bit yours will be on the move and that would be the best time to find him.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I found her!!!! Oh jeez. My heart is pounding. I started tearing the garden apart after I decided not to care figuring I would pay my dad back and she was in there with the lantana plants. She was very in shock and cold so I have her in a very warm soak and will have her in there for 45min and have her heat lamp heating back up inside. Praise God!!!!!
Now I will just have to watch her closely and hope she did not get poisoned by the lantanas. I hope she will drink a lot of water. Thank you all again!! I can rest easy.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
before you let her out again.. Build a enclosure for safe outdoor time..
Glad you found her.. warm her up and let her relax.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Yeah. Though I watch her closely I don't know how all this happened in 5mins. But yes the enclosure is being worked on. Prob will not put her out again at all til it's done later this month. I'm not having either of us go through this again. She will have to wait. Thanks again. I'm outta here. Time for some sleep I'm drained.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Some torts will do anything to avoid watching the Super Bowl.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yaaa, so happy for you. I'm sure she will be fine. Hope you have/had, sweet dreams of the two of your sharing a long happy life together:)

Status
Not open for further replies.