Sam Update

AmandaJustice

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hey all, it's been awhile :) Sam is doing well and is nearing a year old, so I figured I'd post an updated picture. I have to admit, I completely obsess over his shell.
Sam%20052216_zpsqzf4ajta.jpeg

He goes out in his "play yard" daily, all day on weekends, and eats boatloads of grass and weeds. Otherwise he eats a mix of grocery store greens, hay (I'm still chopping it up for him -- I may be able to do that less, I guess), and once a week I mix up some Mazuri, Mazuri LS, and ZooMed Grassland food for him.

I got him at an extremely young age; his plastron wasn't quite closed yet (there's a thread about it but I believe it got moved to the health issues forum), but it did close and he's doing marvelously. Thank you for all the work you put into your tortoises -- mine has surely benefited from your experience :)

AmandaJustice

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
@Speedy-1, thanks! I probably overthink it, but what the heck, he's my only tortoise, and I do like him having a nice, smooth shell.

He still soaks every day, albeit for less time than when he was a neonate; I also keep him in a high-humidity enclosure when he's in the house. Additionally (and this is just my observation with my specific tortoise), I've noticed that when I give him his Mazuri mix more than once a week, new growth looks as if it's coming in lower than the existing scutes, whereas if he only gets Mazuri once a week the new growth is even.

So, once a week Mazuri it is :)