Saltwater tales part 3 - Holy CRAP I cannot BELIEVE what I scored today!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
We were heading to the bank to cash David's paycheck when we spotted a garage sale. Right out in front by the road sat a fish tank on a stand. My husband knows better than to drive by, lol.

So as we pull up I realize that it is a bow front and it has a "saltwater" light fixture on it. We walk up in the yard, and it is a 46 gal bow, stand, and Current Nova Extreme 4 X T5HO. There was also a Penguin 330 filter and a Jager 3604 heater and the glass top for the tank. The lady who was having the sale comes up and starts talking to me about it, telling me about the light fixture etc. and that the bulbs were only two months old.

Well, the tank, which was made in 2008, retails at $150-200 new, the stand is about $130. The light costs just over $200 new, the filter I think is $40-50, and the heater runs around $30. All in all, on the low side, it is about $470 worth of equipment, not counting the bulbs in the fixture. It has two actinics and two 10,000k bulbs.

When she told me what she wanted for it, I almost died right then and there. I currently have a 30 gal long and have been wanting both a slightly larger tank (I never have really cared for run of the mill rectangular tanks, either) and a new light (I have been getting away with a 24" 2 X T5HO) but just haven't had the extra cash, times are tight right now. I still am in absolute shock and cannot BELIEVE what I freaking paid for all this...

$30.

No lie.

Everything works, the light is so awesome compared to the little piece of crap I had lol. I'm going to just run the actinics for a few hours today and slowly up it day by day so I don't bleach all my corals, and use the white bulbs sparingly as well. The tank is in my yard right now being leak tested, but does not appear to have any leaks.

Man oh man, I just cannot get over it... I am so excited, I will be setting it up in the next couple of days, this is just amazing!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How lucky you are to have a husband who will do that for you. I would have had to yank out the keys from the ignition and jump out of the car before mine would stop.

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
Congrats! That's an awesome deal you got! Enjoy your new goodies :)

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Love when awesome stuff like that happens! I'm sure we'll see pics when it's set up ;)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
emysemys said:
How lucky you are to have a husband who will do that for you. I would have had to yank out the keys from the ignition and jump out of the car before mine would stop.

He is an absolute gem Yvonne, and I am thankful for him every single day.

He did say I was grounded now though, lol.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I want to know what you are doing with my paycheck?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I sure as heck am not getting yours, you must be addressing it wrong :p We could remedy that easily!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Sometimes fate pays back nice people with nice things! :D

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I can't wait to see pics after you get it set up. :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have a 30 gallon saltwater that basically consists of a clean up crew (lots of snails and blue legged hermits) and corals. I have a couple of mini carpet anemones, three green bubble tip anemones and one really super witchy Fire Clownfish. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-My-bratty-little-Clownfish#axzz1UwByVXnL The tank looks a LOT different than it did in those pics, the corals have more than doubled in size and the white base rock is all covered in coraline now.

I am banking on getting a 10 gallon Tetra half moon aquarium for my birthday, and that will be home to my teddy bear crab and the clown. Once she is out of the main system I will add some other fish, a Starry blenny is on my short list.

Status
Not open for further replies.