Salcata torts

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
Ok, I am adopting two salcata torts and I have some questions. They are 9” and 10” from what I was told. Do they still need a closed chamber enclosure? I plan on making an outdoors enclosure for them but for the time being I will have to keep them in until it is done. I have one now that I can put them in but it is still too cold. Today, I cleaned out a bedroom for them. Going to put up a temporary enclosure in there until I can get them outside. I am using a bed fram to make the enclosure and yes, they will be separated. The owner already had them separate. It is going to be an adventure! I have always wanted one and this is my opportunity!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow, Cheryl! You're branching out, huh? No, at that size they don't need a closed chamber, but they DO need to be outside. So during winter, they'll need quite a large area indoors. And, they may not get along as well as they have in the past. It is my experience when moved to a new "territory" pairs that got along before don't get along anymore. Cheryl says, "Come on in, Overnight Guest. I've put you up in the living room, and you can sleep on the sofa. My guest bedroom is the Sulcata room!" Welcome to the wonderful world of Sulcatas. You're going to love them.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Cheryl is getting my two Sulcatas. THey have been separate for a long time. So that won't be a problem. I am so thankful for a good home for them since I have to give them up. thanks Cheryl. And thanks to this group for all the good advice.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Wow, Cheryl! You're branching out, huh? No, at that size they don't need a closed chamber, but they DO need to be outside. So during winter, they'll need quite a large area indoors. And, they may not get along as well as they have in the past. It is my experience when moved to a new "territory" pairs that got along before don't get along anymore. Cheryl says, "Come on in, Overnight Guest. I've put you up in the living room, and you can sleep on the sofa. My guest bedroom is the Sulcata room!" Welcome to the wonderful world of Sulcatas. You're going to love them.
I was told they have been separated for a while. I also am buying the house next to me. Big area to keep them. Hey, My tortoise house!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Cheryl is getting my two Sulcatas. THey have been separate for a long time. So that won't be a problem. I am so thankful for a good home for them since I have to give them up. thanks Cheryl. And thanks to this group for all the good advice.
I happy you found them a good home. I'm sorry you had to give them up.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Two sulcatas in Ohio will be a challenge!
I know it will be a challenge. I do plan on building two heated boxes for outside. I should be able to keep them outside longer with these. Depending on the winters, maybe all winter. If it get too cold, I have places for them inside. It would be a bit smaller but it should work.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Ok, I am adopting two salcata torts and I have some questions. They are 9” and 10” from what I was told. Do they still need a closed chamber enclosure? I plan on making an outdoors enclosure for them but for the time being I will have to keep them in until it is done. I have one now that I can put them in but it is still too cold. Today, I cleaned out a bedroom for them. Going to put up a temporary enclosure in there until I can get them outside. I am using a bed fram to make the enclosure and yes, they will be separated. The owner already had them separate. It is going to be an adventure! I have always wanted one and this is my opportunity!
Congratulations on the new tortoises!! I have a sulcata to. You are in Ohio and I am in Michigan, I suspect our winters are somewhat similar. I look forward to reading your future post on how things are going, and learn from what you are doing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know it will be a challenge. I do plan on building two heated boxes for outside. I should be able to keep them outside longer with these. Depending on the winters, maybe all winter. If it get too cold, I have places for them inside. It would be a bit smaller but it should work.
Just an idea for you: If the two enclosure are side by side or share a divider wall, you can make a single box to heat for the two of them. A 4x4 is big enough for one sulcata for a long time. And 8x4 is good for two. Like this:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
We are home and they actually started eating!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio

Well, I am back home with my two new torts. They are 5 and 4 years old. Both were captive breeds. @Hutsie B you and your husband are wonderful people. These torts, Mini and Spike, are wonderful torts. They even ate a little when we got home. We are members of a great forum that will help me and give good advice. These torts will be well taken care of. I will be weighing, taking pictures , and measurements tomorrow hopefully, after I return from my Dr appointment in Cleveland . My husband will help me with the temp enclosure when I get back. All I can say is WOW, ttey are beautiful and I am in love already
!