1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Salamander ID

Discussion in 'Other Pet Talk' started by kobobird, Sep 13, 2018.

1. kobobird

kobobird Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Kentucky
    I’ve had this salamander for months now and I got him from some girl who had raised him from the larvae stage when she caught him out her pond. He’s a pretty cool guy and doesn’t do much. He’d been missing for almost a month now and I just assumed he sadly passed away but I couldn’t find his body anywhere. I left the enclosure set up and running because I have some unidentified tadpoles growing out in there. Anyway he just showed up out of the blue today and I’m very excited to see that he has grown. Looks like he’s been eating the isopods this whole time. But I was wondering if anyone knew what species of salamander he actually is? I live in Kentucky and he was caught out of a local pond but I can’t put my finger on what species he is. Any guesses are welcomed! IMG_1536877002.793490.jpg IMG_1536877017.526500.jpg IMG_1536877025.410917.jpg
  2. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Look up mole and blue spotted.
  3. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    Also northern slimy
  4. kobobird

kobobird Member

Kentucky
    He looks the most like the mole salamander but he isn’t near as chunky as the pictures of mole salamanders online. Could possibly be because he’s still young but I’m not an amphibian expert