Safe real plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt__UK

5 Year Member
Hello,

We are collecting our new torts in a week or two and are planning their indoor enclosure.

We are keen to try to plant some live, save plants in the humid end of their enclosure.

However I want to be sure that I pick plants that are safe and hardy and will grow and survive in their.

We are getting a pair of Indian Stars that are about 4 months old.

Can anyone please help us with a few ideas for plants that will be suitable?

Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
pansies, violas, hosta, wandering jew, hibiscus, rose-of-sharon, mullberry, grape leaves, mallow...

Matt__UK

5 Year Member
I know so little about plants! the only ones of those I recognise are the Pansies and Spider plant!

Really what we want is something that will go in the corner and help trap humidity as well as give them a place to hide. Perhaps the Spider plant will work well!

I assume all of those are safe in the case of a tort getting hungry and snacking on them?

Also which of those are fairly hardy? Ive never been great at keeping plants alive!!

Edit: I like the look of the wandering jew and the Hosta! I suppose I should be able to find both at the local garden centre? Will ones from there be OK - I assume I will have to clean / wipe each leave before introducing it to the enclosure?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
The advantage of spider plant is that you can keep one on a window sill and it will grow you a supply of replacement baby plants for the table :)

You could also get a tray of supermarket 'live lettuce' from somewhere like Waitrose or Sainsburys for your tort to snack on.

Joe, my tort, has 3 categories of plant: edible, trampled and so big he has to walk round them. Don't expect anything in a table to last long as it will fall in one of the first two categories!

Matt__UK

5 Year Member
Thank you both!

I think I am being paranoid that I am going to poison the poor little Indian Stars the moment they get here!

I think if I can find it I will go for a Spider plant, a wandering jew and a Hosta! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.