organic compost (kitchen vegetables and fruits)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Texas/Cal.
I wonder if any of you use these organic compost from your own kitchen to spread over your lawn and bushes. Since we want things to be as natural as possible for our torts, so when one does this work, do we have to keep our torts away until these dissolve into the soil? Any comments will be appreciated.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
You have a seperate area for the raw kitchen waste to turn compost. This is what you are mixing into the soil, correct. The torts will root thru this looking for bugs and compost they ingest will be no different then the soil already there.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
We put the compost in back of large trees in the yard. Our boxie was always digging in there for worms and bugs.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I just recently started started a compost to attract bugs and worms to feed some boxies.

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
Itort said:
You have a seperate area for the raw kitchen waste to turn compost. This is what you are mixing into the soil, correct. The torts will root thru this looking for bugs and compost they ingest will be no different then the soil already there.

Yes, this is the old fashion way to do compost. However, I've seen a new machine which features on the National Geography a few weeks ago. With this machine( it's not big or bulky) you can put it in your kitchen and just add the unwanted vegetable or fruits and it will work by turning itself until everything become compost. This machine also come with the airfilter part which lasts for at least five years. Thank you all for your input.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
There is another way to have an indoor compost bin. I have a large storage box, and I put shreaded newspaper, and kitchen scraps in with a bunch of red wigglers. They eat everything in there and lay eggs and multiply very quickly. I have a ready supply of worms for my boxie hatchling and great compost for my plants. You have to mist it to keep it moist and keep it in a cool spot.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Terry, I am very interested in your bin. Do you just use a rubbermaid bin? How much newspaper? What type of kitchen scraps? Just fruit and veggies? Does it smell? I would like to have a ready supply of worms! That sounds great!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
jlyoncc1 said:
Terry, I am very interested in your bin. Do you just use a rubbermaid bin? How much newspaper? What type of kitchen scraps? Just fruit and veggies? Does it smell? I would like to have a ready supply of worms! That sounds great!

Here is a site to show you how to do it. I try to put all healthy scraps in there. I only put in vegitable and fruit scraps. It is like "gut loading" the worms to feed to your turts. Red wigglers are smaller than earth...night crawlers..worms, so they are great for hatchlings. My little Three Toed will eat two at a time. Let me know if you can get this site.
http://www.nyccompost.org/how/wormbin.html

Status
Not open for further replies.