Sad times

Willi

I have very sad news unfortunately I have Given my red foots pyramiding over not proper husbandry, what I believe was correct food and husbandry all I ask is to look over my food for them and amounts and humidity and any advice on preventing it
Food
- rocket
- dandelion
- occasionally lettuce
Fruits & veg
- grapes
- banana
- Apple
Occasionally
- sweet potatoes
- strawberrys
- blueberries
Meat
I feed them mostly mealworms and the occasional pinky or pacnoda grub i usually feed them protein once every two weeks just to be cautious I'm not over doing it
Humidity
This is apart of the problem as my mother sometimes looks after them as I am away some weekends and also when I'm at work the tank downturns becomes dry on the hot side
but if it is I usually soak them drench the tank, the thermometer in there says it's about around 75-80 percent
Temps
Hot side says about 36c and the cool side at about 27C

Now I've read in captivity and in the wild that the humidity differences can affect pyramiding so I'm hoping that if I keep them more humid including when I'm away that the pyramiding might slowly sought itself out

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 42

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
Hi, don't feel bad, I've seen worse.

Humidity is an important factor in pyramiding. For redfoots humidity should be >80% continuously, without the top of the bedding being really wet (increasing the risk of shell rot). I achieve this by using a closed chamber type enclosure, and pouring water in the corners. I also have some humid moss in some spots in the enclosure. Is your enclosure open at the top or closed?

The diet could be more varied. You could look up The Tortoise Table for inspiration on food sources.

Your high temps seem a bit high to me. Redfoots don't really need a temperature gradient (I still provide one though). Max temp should be around 31 C I believe.

Do you keep those two together? No signs of bullying? Could be a risk with a pair of different size (although redfoots a generally more friendly in groups than some other torts).

Good luck!

Willi

It's a an open top like Exo terra, and I've kept them together for along time and they don't bully eachover at all the big one occasionally sees the smaller ones legs when I've been feeding worms but I think that's just Cus he can smell the mealworm on him and he looooves mealworms, the pouring water into one corner is a good idea and makes sense I don't know why I haven't thought about it, I do it with my tarantulas, I do have moss in the other side to the heat lamp.

Man I know I shouldn't feel bad but like most tortoise keepers there like my children and can't help it ugh I don't no why I didn't catch it before

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
It's a an open top like Exo terra

Could you fix a temporary top, with (plexi)glass, wood or even foil? This really helps to keep the humidity in!

Man I know I shouldn't feel bad but like most tortoise keepers there like my children and can't help it ugh I don't no why I didn't catch it before

This just makes you a good person :)

Willi

Yeah okay I wasn't sure when I got it if it would be a problem I will have a look most likely it will have to be foil

Willi

I was thinking currently there's is moss in there tank but the substrate is humus brick, I was going to put some chipping a over the top to make a top layer and some more moss I think that what be a good idea