Sad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Dude

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, TX
I am still pretty new here and had Sam, my baby cherry head, for almost a month. I left for the weekend and when I came back I found him upside down in his water bowl. As far as I could tell he was under for at least a day. I saw him get in and out that water bowl so many times with very little trouble and to think that’s how he died.

Last week I took some video of him eating on top of his log and I was planning on posting it today anyway.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsmws2KHufg[/video]

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry to hear about the little guy

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
That is awful! What a horrible situation to come home to. Very very sorry to hear about it! :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Bryan: I'm so sorry! What a heck of a thing to come home to. I know it doesn't make you feel any better, but this happens a lot...tortoises flipping upside down into the water dish and drowning. That's really a shame.

terribrown71

5 Year Member
Arlington, Tx
Random Dude said:
I am still pretty new here and had Sam, my baby cherry head, for almost a month. I left for the weekend and when I came back I found him upside down in his water bowl. As far as I could tell he was under for at least a day. I saw him get in and out that water bowl so many times with very little trouble and to think that’s how he died.

Last week I took some video of him eating on top of his log and I was planning on posting it today anyway.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsmws2KHufg[/video]
so sorry to hear about your baby... :(

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I'm sorry to hear that :( it certainly makes me think twice about my water bowl placement though...

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Very sorry for your loss. I guess that is why I won't leave Cooper home alone for more then like 8 hours while I'm at work. I couldn't bare coming home to that!

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
I'm so sorry for your loss i cant imagine coming home to that scene.I am always worried Bowser will do that.I have randomly woke up a couple of night and found him flipped over.Only him and it drives me crazy but we do our best to prevent it and that's the best we can do.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
so sorry to hear about your loss. I had one of my hatchlings turn over in it water dish a few months ago but luck had it that I must have seen it just after it happened.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Random Dude said:

Video Link: youtube

So sorry -- he was a sweetie. So tiny!

Random Dude

10 Year Member!
Houston, TX
Thank you everyone I really appreciate your sympathies.

It is hard to think what I could have done differently for Sam. I just wish I was there to catch him. This wasn’t the first time I left him for a weekend and I never saw him fall on his back before either but, apparently it just takes one bad fall. I was really excited to have a baby tortoise and looking forward seeing him grow up. I will eventually try again however, it will be awhile when I do.

Again thank you, this is amazing community there is a great wealth of knowledge as well as very caring people

Status
Not open for further replies.