Sad news

Jami

Hi all. I just want to say thank you for all the support and kindness you have all shown me when I've had questions about my baby torty HermIt. I am so very very sad to tell you that HermIt died a short time ago. He and I fought hard but it just wasn't enough. I feel terrible. Thanks again for all the help.

Jami

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
So very sorry, my condolences.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Last edited:

Jami

So very sorry, my condolences.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Thanks! I love the rainbow bridge descriptions. Thank you for helping me so much.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
We try to do the best for a tortoise who is sick,of course every time I read the rainbow bridge, I feel like I should turn in my man card.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm so sorry for your lost.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
I know how you feel, I lost a few hatchlings before I found the Tortoise Forum. I tried my best but a combination of misinformation from the dealer, bad advice from books, and my lack of experience led to heartache. My advice would be, when you're ready, try again with an adult or at least a yearling. They're more robust and can take the bumps in the road the novice tortoise keepers run into.

Jami

Dang it. Was hoping the little bugger would pull through. So sorry.
Thank you so much for your patience and help. You and Yvonne and dmmj, and moonzilla and everyone really, have been such a help to me. HermIt was a great little torty and I am so sad and mad that I failed him. The vet says that if I'd taken him a week or two earlier it most likely wouldn't have mattered because of his age and difficulty treating hatchlings. I just wish I knew what caused it. I'd like to try again with an older tort but I'm afraid the same thing could happen - what if it's something in my house, or me or whatever in my care? He didn't arrive with the blood spots, that took a couple of weeks to appear. Anyway - thank you again!

Jami

I know how you feel, I lost a few hatchlings before I found the Tortoise Forum. I tried my best but a combination of misinformation from the dealer, bad advice from books, and my lack of experience led to heartache. My advice would be, when you're ready, try again with an adult or at least a yearling. They're more robust and can take the bumps in the road the novice tortoise keepers run into.
Thank you. It's been a hard time for sure. I'd like to try again but I'm afraid that my environment caused the infection and I'm not sure if that is possible but I'm afraid to do harm to another one. I don't know where to get an older one, as the breeder I got HermIt from is well recommended. I just don't know what to think. Thank you for responding to me.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Jami, my most sincere condolences on losing your little guy.
YOU DID NOT FAIL HERMIT.
Some babies (including humans) have ailments or internal problems that it is not possible to detect or fix. Some are just frail with weak immune systems etc. Hatchlings are notoriously fragile, and even the best and most experienced keepers lose hatchlings for reasons we never know.
Veterinary medicine knows much less about reptiles than about the most common mammals, so the deck is stacked against them.
You did everything possible, and MORE than many people would have done.
When you are ready for another tortoise, you might consider a yearling or slightly older. They'll be past that fragile hatchling stage but still young enough that you can enjoy watching them grow.
I got Elsa when she was 4" long (about 3 yrs old) so I knew she was healthy. I've watched her grow, she eats from our hands and she like my husband to rub her head!
Big hugggg.

Jami

I got Elsa from Tortoise Supply.
Hi! Thanks for your kind words. I was looking back over my posts and called you moonzilla! How autocorrect ever even came up with that I will never know- or maybe I did it through the tears - I am not sure but I am sorry! It does make me smile a little and that's something I'm grateful for too! I got HermIt there too so I think he was well started and they're such good people and breeders. But yes, hatchlings are so fragile. I want to have a tort again. I'm not sure if I should get one from the pet store or order again. I definitely want an older one. Not sure if I should stick with a hermanns or try a cherry head red foot. I loved HermIt like crazy. Still crying off and on. I'm just not sure what to do. The only place I've seem hermanns at 4 inches is through Big Apple Pet Supply. I am going to wait a bit anyway and then decide. Thank you again....hug appreciated!!!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Hi, Jami- I'm not sure which part of the country you live in, but Red Foots NEED high humidity, which can be a challenge.
One of the things that helped me decide on which type of tort to get was reading a lot on the forum, but ALSO having personal message conversations with people who kept the kinds of tortoises I was interested in. If they live in your same state or one very similar to yours, they can share tips on how they manage their torts. :)