i'm really5 sad!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

willy wonka

5 Year Member
today my friend found one of my stars death inside my indoor set up... i'm really2 sad.. not because she is sick... her top shell broke, fall down apart, no head, no left hand and leg. her body inside also gone like been eaten. i suspected it was rat that ate my lovely stars. but there's no rat in my house. i never seen rat in my house lately. yes, there's a rat in my house but it was 5 or 6 month ago. if there's still have, i'm surely seen it. what do you all think what ate my lovely stars...? i'm really2 sad right now :(

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Oh how awful! I'm very sorry! :( I had a raccoon get one of my boxies once, and it was terrible finding him like that - gone except for the shell. :(

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That is so sad, but if you had a rat in your house 6 months ago, and you didn't catch him, there is a possibility that he is still there, and he ate your star. I know how you feel, because I put a lot of meal worms in my boxie hatchling vivarium years ago, and they turned into beetles and ate my little hatchling, all in a matter of days. You better try to catch that rat, that's the only thing I can suggest.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I lost my first tortoise to a predator - I was devastated, his outdoor enclosure wasn't as secure as I thought. I am pretty sure it was a raccoon. I had him for 13 years, since I was just a little kid, my poor poor baby. I know how you feel.

Now, it is time to get some traps, cover your enclosure and do everything you can to protect your other babies. Maybe use a big screen from a window to cover the top of the enclosure, so they can still get fresh air.

Kristina

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
It is for sure a rat! I wish that I could say that I do not know how you feel, but I lost 3 yearling Egyptian Tortoises to a rat all in one night. I do not even know how to describe how angry and bitter I was, for quite a while actually. I am so sorry for your loss. It is critical that you make sure that there is no access into your tortoise enclosure. Even a 1" x 1" hole is enough for an adult rat to get in! Then traps and bait, until you are sure that they are all dead. Best wishes Douglas

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
same here, ive lost plenty of tortoises to rats. i say kill all the rats. i hate them sooo much!!! i keep sticky traps everywhere, but they just walk around them after the 1st one got caught. now i use live traps and put food in a metal gate, and it closes behind them. its soooo horibble to lose your torts to a rat, and i just think of what the poor tort must of gone through... oh the bad feelings and memories...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It could be a raccoon, I have had some of my RES that have been eaten by raccoons,.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
That is so awful. I am so sorry for your loss! :(

Make sure you kill the dirty rat and all his brethren...

Funny how I loved having "rats" as pets, but do not have any love for the wild ones.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I myself do not believe in sticky pads and get quite upset when I hear of people using them. There are a lot of natural ways of getting rid of rats and one of them would be a cat. I realize in natural a lot of things get killed, but to me that's nature beyond our control, but to put down these strips is torturous and is an a terrible thing to do. Rats and mice chew off their own legs to get freed from such things please do not use them. There are also humane traps that can be gotten. Never assume that when you see a rat that it just went bye bye, there's probably a lot more of them around. We also have a lot of members on her that have rats as pets and might not see this the same way as others do. The point here is to protect your animals so this means that Dale probably won't be going outside this spring. :( Only joking of course he will. :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Hey sorry for your loss .. ever thought of a pet boa? =:>)
And you' all are scaring me with your rat stories .. where the heck do you live where you have rats in your house? ....
Only thing here .. are " beach rats" .... and their in Flip flops ...and all tatted out ! <grin> not much into making a " tort snack" ...
but can be petty little thiefs ....
Keep on Truckin"
JD

Status
Not open for further replies.