Query about cloudy days

Suey

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi today in the UK it’s warm but cloudy, no sun. My query is that my two tortoises are outside with access to their Arcadia mercury heat bulb. On thecloudy days do I need to have the lights on or not ? On sunny days they are on timers from 7 until 10 o’clock. They are housed in a insulated shed they can come and go as they please.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
If they were in the wild, what would they do on a cloudy day? I wouldn't waste the electricity.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
If they were in the wild, what would they do on a cloudy day? I wouldn't waste the electricity.
It rains 7 months out of a year here. Our days are mostly cloudy. My tort lights are on timers, they are set and I don't change them. Even if the days are sunny and hot, their basking lights are on regularly. I don't know if this is correct or not. It's just the way I do it...and it's easier.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I should clarify, I meant I wouldn't change the setup you have now. If they are on a timer and go on and off everyday at set times, I would leave it that way.

Suey

England
Thanks for replies. I suppose I’m a bit over protective as Charlie my 5yr old ( they’re both Russians ) was ill for first 2yrs I had him , he’s good now though.