RVs watermelon melee

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Hey Teri...GREAT shots! It's always a treat to see RV do what she does best...she's got real attitude! And, if she's too miserable in AZ...maybe she's due for a CA getaway;) I'm sure Aladar won't mind in the least!:D

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't know how I missed this thread...she looks just like Bob when he attacks his watermelon. I personally think all Sulcata should get watermelon in the summer. It should just be part of summer for them...
RV is looking good.
Is that the burrow that Tom climbed down in last year? It's a shame to lose such a long burrow after all her digging. Maybe she'll start another one somewhere else in your yard.

Bob would be very jealous if RV had anything to do with Aladar...as I remember Bob claimed first dibbs...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
maggie3fan said:
Bob would be very jealous if RV had anything to do with Aladar...as I remember Bob claimed first dibbs...

Lady's choice! It's Lady's choice!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
dalano73 said:
How did the closing of RV's burrow go?

sorry ~ I've not been able to log on.. We put a large oblong piece of thick particle board down, and covered it with the thin plywood that was the cover for her entrance to the burrow. Then put 1' x 1' patio stone all around the outer edges of the plywood. We've had a few rains now and the plywood is pretty flattened out.

It's too hot to actively try to fill. Come cooler weather I'll be watching the "free" section of craigs list for dirt and stone. Little by little, the deed will be done.

terryo said:
I love looking at RV's pictures, and I can't believe how she eats the whole thing. I always cut out the best part for Pio. I didn't know they could eat the rind too. What powerful jaws she must have to bite through that green rind.

RV is a pretty girl, mostly interested it eating and soaks. And as for chomping thru the rind, she may get 'stuck', but she's adept at working things out. I think my favorite pic is where the juice is flowing down from her chin; wish it were clearer.

maggie3fan said:
I don't know how I missed this thread...she looks just like Bob when he attacks his watermelon. I personally think all Sulcata should get watermelon in the summer. It should just be part of summer for them...
RV is looking good.
Is that the burrow that Tom climbed down in last year? It's a shame to lose such a long burrow after all her digging. Maybe she'll start another one somewhere else in your yard.

Thanks Maggie. Yes, it is the same burrow Tom went down. I'm sorry to lose the burrow, and RV is too ~ tried digging down to it when the heat kicked in. Right now we have a swamp cooler on the back patio in a sheltered corner, and she seems happy with it - rests in the 'dead tort' pose. I don't know if we'll allow another burrow. It is very hard to monitor her if she's down in the burrow for any lenght of time (winter weather). I'm a worry wart and get a little too anxious with her staying below for any length of time.

And as for the guys... RV told me she just can't make up her mind, both Bob and Aladar are handsome as the day is long...

:p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
sharkstar said:
And as for the guys... RV told me she just can't make up her mind, both Bob and Aladar are handsome as the day is long...

:p

Smart girl, keeping all her options open. :D I have come to believe that sulcata are the messiest tortoises when they are eating. :D

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Great pictures! I have let Cooper have a little water melon here and there since summer began and he just goes crazy! It will be something when he is old enough to give him a big piece and watch him go to town like RV! That is one great looking tort for sure!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.