Russina hibernation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgately

5 Year Member
As most of you tort experts have heard by now, I have three Russians roaming around my backyard. They are doing very well, and were eating like little torty pigs! I have more questions for all of you.

1) They have kinda slowed down and are barely eating at all. I assume this is normal because they are getting ready to hibernate. Is this correct?

2) Two of my torts retreat to one of the two outside hide boxes when it is cold outside, on their own. They are cold, but totally dry. One of my two females would rather go out and dig a shallow hide, and sleep out there. Guaranteed she will get wet, and possibly soaked. Will she be okay out there? What would happen if she hibernated outside where it is both cold and wet? I have put her in the boxes several times, and she always walks out so she can decide where to sleep. Also, she is almost impossible to find when she hides! (Amazing ability by the way.)

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks,

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
yes it is normal my 3 have slowed down a lot, they are sorta just waiting for the cold weather ( relative to california anyways) to start. I personally take mine into my shed for hibernation, remember cold and wet is not good for tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some of our members back east have said that they allow their Russians to hibernate outdoors, however, here on the west coast, where it rains a lot and doesn't lay down a protective layer of snow on the ground, its not a good idea to allow Russian tortoises to hibernate in the ground outside. I always dig mine up (right about now) and place them in a cool, dry place.

fgately

5 Year Member
They are still knda moving around a bit though. They seem a bit restless. The weather has been on and off cold and warm here in the LA area. Should I leave them out, or bring them in?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have been bringing mine in, to cold to stay outside IMHO.

fgately

5 Year Member
I chose Russians because they are tough little critters! I have absolutely no worries about the cold for them. I worry about it being cold AND wet. I read that they are often found at 5,000 feet, where it gets way below zero in the winter. We almost never even get a sprinkle of snow here, so again, I don't worry about the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.