russian trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hello everyone just adopted a russian male and yellow-foot yesterday. it appears the russian male is super mean to my other russians. he tries to bite them all and got ahold of one of the males today and wont let go. what should i do? give him to a friend or try to work with him? i cant leave him for 2 seconds cause he actually charges at them full speed (almost like a pitbull). also he let out a slimy substances today, it was clear. hes about 10 yrs old. HELP PLEASE!!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Just trying to get this straight, you adopted this Russian yesterday, and already put him in with your other Russians? No quarantine period?

Were the Russian and the Yellowfoot living together at where your adopted them from?

Okay you first off did a big no no, you placed brand new animals into your group without quarantining it. Now if this animal happens to be sick, you may have just gotten your entire colony sick. Can't change that now, so watch your original group closely.

Were there females in with the males? That can make the entire male aggression thing worse. For now I would take him out and place in in an isolation enclosure. Not only to keep him from going after your other males, but to do a quarantine period with him. Then after he (and now the original group too) has completed quarantine, then try re-introducing him.

Somethings that helps to lower male aggression is if the pen is large enough and has enough hides/sight barriers. I would give him another chance, but watch closely. He may not be able to be kept in a community enclosure. If that ends up being true, then you might have to keep him by himself or find him a new home.

As for the slimy substance, sorta hard knowing for sure what you did see. Could it just be urates? Or maybe a parasite problem showing. I would do a stool check.

Status
Not open for further replies.