Russian tortoise not eating correctly ?

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Russian tortoises will eat a bit of grass, but their preferred food items are broad-leaf plants and weeds, NOT GRASS. To that end, buy some endive, escarole and romaine lettuce and chop it up into small pieces. Place it on a feeding tile and put your tortoise in front of it, then move quickly out of his sight. here's a list of Russian tortoise food items:

GREENS

Romaine lettuce (fed on occasion)
Red and green leaf lettuce (fed on occasion)
Endive
Escarole
Radicchio
Chicory
Turnip greens
Mustard greens
Kale
Collards

Spring Mix (mixed salad greens)
cabbage (fed on occasion)

OTHER GOOD CHOICES

Hibiscus (flowers and leaves)
Hosta
Sedum
Mulberry leaves
Hen and Chicks
Ice Plants
Prickly pear flowers, fruit and pads (burn the spines off)
Dandelion
Plantain (not the banana type fruit....the weed plantago major)
Mallow (flowers and leaves)
Henbit
Rose (flowers and leaves....make sure no systemic pesticides were used)
Chrysanthemum flowers
Cornflowers Plagiobothrys ssp
Forsythia (flowers and leaves)
Dayflower Commelina diffusa (flowers and leaves)
Californian Poppy escholzia
Chia Salvia hispanica
Yes, thank you Yvonne. I do provide my russian tortoises a mixture of the greens you listed above. I have tried feeding them to him cut up and in bigger pieces and walking away (to cook or clean) but when I come back, its untouched. He'll usually be back in his hiding log. The temp or the enclosure is 85, with 95-97 in basking spot and the night temp doesnt drop lower than 70 at night.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Hes only ate blades of grass when i take him outside in the back to roam around and sunbathe

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, thank you Yvonne. I do provide my russian tortoises a mixture of the greens you listed above. I have tried feeding them to him cut up and in bigger pieces and walking away (to cook or clean) but when I come back, its untouched. He'll usually be back in his hiding log. The temp or the enclosure is 85, with 95-97 in basking spot and the night temp doesnt drop lower than 70 at night.

85F might be a bit too hot for a russian. He's not a baby, right? I would keep the basking spot like you have it, but cool off the rest of the enclosure down to between 75 and 80.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
85F might be a bit too hot for a russian. He's not a baby, right? I would keep the basking spot like you have it, but cool off the rest of the enclosure down to between 75 and 80.
No hes not a baby, ill lower the temp of the enclosure and see if there are any changes, hopefully there is . Thank you.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
I can't really tell from your picture - is his beak very long? It could be interfering with his ability to get food in his mouth. If it is too long the vet can file the beak down. Ask your vet when you see him.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I can't really tell from your picture - is his beak very long? It could be interfering with his ability to get food in his mouth. If it is too long the vet can file the beak down. Ask your vet when you see him.
No, his beak isnt long at all

madge1234

My Russian is a very picky eater. Perhaps yours is too.

She likes all the bad things: romaine lettuce, carrots and zucchini.

Can you try hand feeding him something tasty like a bit of carrot to stimulate his appetite?

Disclaimer here! Carrots should only be given sparingly. My vet said no more than one baby carrot a week because they have too much sugar. Oh, and watch your fingers when hand feeding!

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
My Russian is a very picky eater. Perhaps yours is too.

She likes all the bad things: romaine lettuce, carrots and zucchini.

Can you try hand feeding him something tasty like a bit of carrot to stimulate his appetite?

Disclaimer here! Carrots should only be given sparingly. My vet said no more than one baby carrot a week because they have too much sugar. Oh, and watch your fingers when hand feeding!
Ill try the carrots and zucchini, i just bought baby food carrots to add to his soak, also