Russian Tortoise

Jackie m

Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham
Hello not sure if this Will go any one for advice. The other day Tom tortoise fell from a height and landed up right when he started walking we noticed a limp we took him to the vets this morning he as broken his leg above the knee they have given us some meloxicam to give him for the next few days they are trying to find a exotic vet to have a look at him, Tom is still eating happily and wanting to come out any advice on what to do to help him much appreciated.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Scary stuff. My vet is in Kent, but is a tortoise expert and I know other vets consult him.

He is Mark Rowland at Trinity Vet Centre in Maidstone

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Poor Tom! That's an awful experience for him.

It would be good if the leg could be splinted so there's no bone movement. It would be good, but I have no idea how that could be done. Those fat tort legs just don't lend themselves to splints. BTW, which leg? A rear one?

Jackie m

Nottingham
Scary stuff. My vet is in Kent, but is a tortoise expert and I know other vets consult him.

He is Mark Rowland at Trinity Vet Centre in Maidstone
Thank you but we live just outside Nottingham

Jackie m

Nottingham
Poor Tom! That's an awful experience for him.

It would be good if the leg could be splinted so there's no bone movement. It would be good, but I have no idea how that could be done. Those fat tort legs just don't lend themselves to splints. BTW, which leg? A rear one?
The vet said it had broken completely from the top of the knee and wasn't even close enough to knit together, he is still moving on three legs and eating and started the meloxicam today hopefully the swelling will go down it's his right back leg.