Russian Tortoise UVB Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

russianpedro

5 Year Member
Hi, I would like to know what UVB tube would be best for a Russian Tortoise. Some sites say 5.0 and some say 10.0, so I am asking for your opinions here.

I know, the MVP would be the best choice to provide both heat and UVB, but, I just got this Russian Tortoise kind of unexpectedly. His current enclosure does not allow for me to safely set up a MVL, since the same wattage is much bigger than the light that I have it now and need the bigger, deeper dome. He has lots of floor space, it's the height that I don't have at the moment.

I will go with MVL when I can build him a proper Tortoise table, but for now I need a tube in the meantime. I am just mentioning this since most of threads that I have come upon from people asking the same question don't really answer that question, but they recommend a MVL.

Thanks for your info.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
For my Russians, I have a ZooMed Repti-Sun 10.0 for illumination and UVA/UVB, and I have a 150-Watt CHE on one end of the pen for a basking spot (see above link).

russianpedro

5 Year Member
Hi, thanks for the responses. I had seen that other thread only after posting this one (oops). It's good to see that you both a basking area plus a tube, because I admit that I thought that it kind of sucked to have the equipment for that but some other things I had read gave me the impression that it would be bets to "upgrade" to a MVB. I am so glad that I asked here.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
lynnedit said:
Look at this concurrent thread

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Choosing-bulbs#axzz27dIi4xjv

A fluorescent tube with basking light (long enough to light up enclosure, on for 12 hours per day) or CHE for heat should work out just fine. I don't think the MVB is the only answer.

I agree, MVB's have become the "cure all". They are not. While they provide good general heating, they provide only very localized UV and actual light. Unlike the combination of a tube UV and an incadescent basking light which provides excellent overall lighting and UV distribution throughout an enclosure as well as the basking light providing good basking heat and light and having the flexibility to change wattage and the basking temperature by raising or lowering the fixture if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.