Russian Tortoise substrate

HuyckB04

Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Hey, all.

So, I've been continually researching proper Russian Tortoise care since several months before Morty joined our family. One area of contention has always been the substrate. I've learned that coconut coir is the ideal bedding for the little guy, but I'm still lost on moisture levels. Some say that RTs are desert tortoises and should have dry substrate. Others say that it should be kept quite moist. I've been trying to find a middle ground between the two while looking for a good answer to the question. All the sources I've been using have been reliable sources, but their information still conflicts. What are the thoughts from the forum pros on this issue?

Also, with a heat lamp and UVB lamp going, keeping the substrate moist is a losing battle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for NOT making me feel like an idiot or poor tortoise keeper. I just want the little guy to be happy and healthy.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Pour the water in with a watering can. It's okay if the surface dries out as long as the bottom layer is moist & the substrate is deep enough for the animal to burrow into the moisture.

Although they live in arid places, they find and create microclimates.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Baby Russians should have more humidity than adults. 40%-50% is good for an adult. I use a watering can to sprinkle it on the substrate every couple days, just stick your finger in the dirt and if it's damp underneath, it's good. You could also pour it into the corner and it will seep underneath.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I always keep a digital thermometer and hydrometer that records highs and lows above my enclosure. When the humidity drops below 50 % I'll add some water to the substrate and I'll also hang a few damp bath towel in the room to help offset the drying effect of the heat and lamps.

In very cold weather, I'll see the humidity drop to just below 40 % when I've been gone for more than 12 hours.

HuyckB04

Iowa
Pour the water in with a watering can. It's okay if the surface dries out as long as the bottom layer is moist & the substrate is deep enough for the animal to burrow into the moisture.

Although they live in arid places, they find and create microclimates.

So, on the topic of microclimates, should I only add water to a portion of the substrate, leaving a certain area drier? Also, what are your thoughts of adding a second substrate for a microclimate? Maybe a small area of river rock or timothy hay.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
So, on the topic of microclimates, should I only add water to a portion of the substrate, leaving a certain area drier? Also, what are your thoughts of adding a second substrate for a microclimate? Maybe a small area of river rock or timothy hay.
I water the whole thing, just to keep it stable :D Hay is very drying, and I'd be a little concerned about small rocks (swallow??) but variety is awesome!

HuyckB04

Iowa
I water the whole thing, just to keep it stable :D Hay is very drying, and I'd be a little concerned about small rocks (swallow??) but variety is awesome!
I wasn't thinking small rocks. More like river rock. They're usually about an inch and a half to 2 inches in diameter, so swallowing shouldn't be an issue. Would a small area with this type of stones be conducive to creating positive russian tortoise environment?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I wasn't thinking small rocks. More like river rock. They're usually about an inch and a half to 2 inches in diameter, so swallowing shouldn't be an issue. Would a small area with this type of stones be conducive to creating positive russian tortoise environment?
Oh okay, sure! I feel like it would keep nails in check, and it would be good for him to have a stable hard area to walk on. :D

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts

Rocks are good at first but you'll find yourself cleaning them daily and eventually the dirt will overtake them lol I've tried D: hay would need to be replaced weekly, maybe more if wet. Honestly, of all the torts, Russians LOVE DIRT lol

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I would not try to create such microclimates. How big is the habitat? There will naturally be a cooler side & a warmer side, and the depth of substrate will create differing moisture areas. It's always dryer under the lights. A hide can be kept more humid.