Russian Tortoise Substrate?

Reptile Lover

5 Year Member
I was wondering what kind of substrate you'd recommend for Russian tortoises? I've heard some people say that you can get the same type of substrate at any gardening or home improvement place like Home Depot or lowes for less money than pet stores.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
that's true of almost all products - lights, bins, etc.

I prefer small-sized orchid bark.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Yvonne is right, I do my shopping at home improvement stores :D

You can use plain top soil. Home Depot sells one called EarthGro Top Soil. Don't confuse that with potting soil. The top soil is in a white bag with red and black lettering. It's $2.27 last time I bought a bag and the big bag lasts awhile.
This isn't the only option, just another you can consider and one I like to use.

Donatello

Hi i am using coconut fiber for substrate (damp). When i went to the reptile show today i asked a man what could help with the humidity issue i am having. He told me to add forest floor to the coconut fiber. I know a lid would help so when i go to work tomorrow i am gonna ask for a box and duct tape a piece of cardboard to the top. Just would like to hear some thoughts before i add it tonight. The new enclosure got put on hold for at least another week. My friend is building it and his garage is not heated. I didnt want him to freeze. Lol.

The humidity is at 30 percent. Basking spot is 100 and rest of enclosure is 75.