Russian tortoise sluggish and not eating much

DIMAV22

Location (City and/or State)
Youngsville
Hello,

I had my Russian tortoise for a little over a year and he has been very active and ate / pooped good. For the past month or so he has not been eating or pooping that much at all. Today I noticed he seems very sluggish. He has fresh water, eats greens and dry food, I soak him once a week in warm water.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are the temps? Basking? Over all? Night?
Humidity?
Actual diet items?
Substrate?
Size of enclosure?
Age?
Size?

DIMAV22

Youngsville
The tends at night are around 80 and during the day it's around 95 with little humidity. I do spray the enclosure with water periodically. He has 2 basking lamps and 2 UV lamps. Substrate is cypress. Age is about 5 years old. I posted a picture of the enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First the enclosure is way too small. Minimum needs to be a 4x8 foot. Cypress is not a good substrate switch to orchid bark. The temp should be 95 under basking but the rest should be a varied 75 to 80 which in a goo small enclosure is hard fo do. Night temps should have no heat unless it gets below 60
One uvb bulb not two, one basking not two. With two basking I'm guessing the temps are much higher then your "around" guesses.
Get one uvb and one basking out. Do not use coul uvb bulbs and get a digital thermometer to get accurate temps. Add more humidity about 50% and a larger enclosure. change the substrate and if the diet consist of those pellets only get him a better diet of broad leafy greens and/or weeds.
Many changes needed asap.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You got great advice! Just do it and keep us posted. Pics of the tortoise?