Russian Tortoise Shell Problem

aivilo

Location (City and/or State)
illinois
Three days ago I noticed some weird shell appearance on my Russian tortoise. It looks cracked, red, and it looked like fluid was coming out of it! (See below image). Today, I took him out of his enclosure and the area is soft to the touch (as compared to a hard shell).When I did press down to see if the shell was soft or hard, I could see him visibly flinch and turn, which means he’s in pain! Please help me figure out what is going on!! The next vet appointment is in a MONTH!, and I want To act fast before this turns into something worse! Is this shell rot? MBD? Or some thing else?

Attachments

• E305BC14-6B12-4EC0-A627-6F52775E5739.jpeg
    E305BC14-6B12-4EC0-A627-6F52775E5739.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 68283067-4DCD-4149-B554-7192CC282AE6.jpeg
    68283067-4DCD-4149-B554-7192CC282AE6.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 84F799BF-8E44-4249-AE56-1C78D3B3A768.jpeg
    84F799BF-8E44-4249-AE56-1C78D3B3A768.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Ddflinn

SPRING VALLEY CA
Three days ago I noticed some weird shell appearance on my Russian tortoise. It looks cracked, red, and it looked like fluid was coming out of it! (See below image). Today, I took him out of his enclosure and the area is soft to the touch (as compared to a hard shell).When I did press down to see if the shell was soft or hard, I could see him visibly flinch and turn, which means he’s in pain! Please help me figure out what is going on!! The next vet appointment is in a MONTH!, and I want To act fast before this turns into something worse! Is this shell rot? MBD? Or some thing else?
oh no! I hope that's not what I think it is. I'll let the experts advise

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not one to recommend vet visit as a first resort. But I think you need to get him in. There is a lot of pink/red and that could be infection. For now keep him warm 85 day and night and keep the area clean and free of flies. Get him in as soon as possible.
@Yvonne G

aivilo

illinois
The first image was three days ago and the other two were taken today. I would say that today, it looks better than the previous days, but I’m also worried about the shell being soft, and what could have caused this. And most importantly will he be okay? And how can I prevent this from happening in the future?

aivilo

illinois
The first image was three days ago and the other two were taken today. I would say that today, it looks better than the previous days, but I’m also worried about the shell being soft, and what could have caused this.
I'm not one to recommend vet visit as a first resort. But I think you need to get him in. There is a lot of pink/red and that could be infection. For now keep him warm 85 day and night and keep the area clean and free of flies. Get him in as soon as possible.
@Yvonne G
Thank you. I will try my best. The pink/red has slowly gone down from the past three days, I’m still concerned for his health though.

aivilo

illinois
Keep us posted. Hope all goes well, and it turns out to not be a big deal.
Hello, the closest vet visit I found nearby is available in two days. His shell is still soft, and visibly hurting him. In the meantime, would you recommend anything that I could do to help him? And could someone please share what this Could be? Below is a picture of his shell today.

Attachments

• 2C4857F2-DD3C-43AC-9A38-066725862B31.jpeg
    2C4857F2-DD3C-43AC-9A38-066725862B31.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like he had some sort of damage along the new growth seam and the old injury has flaked off leaving new, tender keratin showing. It will harden as it ages.

aivilo

illinois
Hello, the closest vet visit I found nearby is available in two days. His shell is still soft, and visibly hurting him. In the meantime, would you recommend anything that I could do to help him? And could someone please share what this Could be?
Looks like he had some sort of damage along the new growth seam and the old injury has flaked off leaving new, tender keratin showing. It will harden as it ages.
That was one of my assumptions, he is an active tortoise and likes to climb things including his house, then he jumps off, he has been active recently, so there is a possibility he may have fell an injured his shell. Thank you for your time and help.