Russian tortoise ramp

joachym

Location (City and/or State)
Prague
Hi! I just registered because I'm trying to finish a new indoor enclosure for my little guy, and I am worried I made the ramp a little too steep - and I'm not sure what would be the best way to provide something to grip onto. He slides on the plank alone, so I'm a little anxious. The level is 36 cm, and the plank is 86 cm. I've seen 1:2 and 1:4 ratios advised here and thought he is quite the climber and chose size that still leaves him a lot of room on both floors. Thank you in advance for any feedback!!

Also I'm super excited to join as the questions already answered here have been super helpful :)

Attachments

• 20230721_204934.jpg
    20230721_204934.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Young tortoise flip and do not walk straight. I see hazard with this idea. Definatly needs sides, they grip hide logs with the rough texture so you could stick hobby match sticks with no ignite end in continuous rows to provide a grip or a grippy base. Whilst they explore I have not seem them climb ramps so depends what's up there amd also ensure that has sides to avoid a free fall. Good luck

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Rubbery self-adhesive strips such as those sold as draught excluders , stuck at intervals across the plank, work well, and are easy to fix.
Oh, and welcome !
Angie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Young tortoise flip and do not walk straight. I see hazard with this idea. Definatly needs sides, they grip hide logs with the rough texture so you could stick hobby match sticks with no ignite end in continuous rows to provide a grip or a grippy base. Whilst they explore I have not seem them climb ramps so depends what's up there amd also ensure that has sides to avoid a free fall. Good luck
Many people build second levels with ramps up to it. I don't know how many if any built one for a hatchling, but in the wild they wouldn't have the almost perfect flat surfaces most everyone provides.
It does need sides though and texture of some sort so leverage/gripping can be accomplished in order for it to get up it.

joachym

Prague
Thank you for the feedback so far, everyone!
Many people build second levels with ramps up to it. I don't know how many if any built one for a hatchling, but in the wild they wouldn't have the almost perfect flat surfaces most everyone provides.
It does need sides though and texture of some sort so leverage/gripping can be accomplished in order for it to get up it.
I said little guy but he is actually in his twenties :) or so we assume, he is a rescue. I decided to make a new, bigger enclosure because he is always trying to climb the walls of his current one. The two floors are there to give him more walking around space and saving a little bit of my living room. He likes to walk around and explore in the garden and indoors both, so I hope he'll find his way up there - the intention is to leave his food and water there because he always drags his substrate into it. So we'll see - if he doesn't use it I'll just keep some plants there.

I started gluing some small planks on it for gripping and so I can test it and make sure before I go on to install the sides, or take it out and try again.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome. You might try the dried apple limbs they sell for a rabbit's chew toy. They aren't really thick but can be long enough to cut in half easily. They're pretty cheap at pet shops and come in bundles

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I hate to be the one to add this but the OSB panels that you are using are notorious for falling apart when exposed to moisture even the small amount a Russian needs. You will need to prime and seal paint the enclosure and make sure to caulk any corners or junctions.

joachym

Prague
I hate to be the one to add this but the OSB panels that you are using are notorious for falling apart when exposed to moisture even the small amount a Russian needs. You will need to prime and seal paint the enclosure and make sure to caulk any corners or junctions.
I have the varnish and a tube of silicone ready :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Rubber, glue, varnish, self adhesive...ok, I wonder. Just imagining the tortoise trying to eat any of this stuff, which he might, if it's available. Hmm.

joachym

Prague
Rubber, glue, varnish, self adhesive...ok, I wonder. Just imagining the tortoise trying to eat any of this stuff, which he might, if it's available. Hmm.
I mean I do need to treat the wood with something, and I specifically looked for something that's safe even when wet. I've never had any issues with him eating anything that is not food (my fingers at worst), so I don't think it will become an issue now.

Edit: I want to make sure the enclosure is easy to clean and won't become moldy. Because he hasn't eaten foreign objects before and doesn't bite into his current box, I think the cleanliness will be my priority. How else do people do it with wooden (or OSB) enclosures?