How to prevent climbing on outdoor enclosure

luiz_borges

I'm building an outdoor enclosure for my redfoot. It will be 2 x 3 meters in size with a fence about 1 meter high to prevent my dogs and cat to invade the space (even though they are docile). This fence will have a small gate for easy access (and to let the tortoise out on occasion).

Now, from what I heard tortoises are good climbers, so I want to prevent it by making the bottom of the fence "un-climbable". I thought of two possibilities:
1) make the bottom 20-30 cm be just vertical bars or metal sheet, so that there is no place to grip.
2) lay a row of cinder block (20 cm tall).

The cinder block path is easier but will block the tortoise view of the surronds, if I want to leave the gate open for the tortoise I will have to have ramps.

What are your thoughts?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome to the forum.

The bottom of the enclosure needs to have a visual barrier around it regardless of any other factors here. If they can see out, they will try to get out, and they usually injure themselves in the process.

I would not use metal for this as metal gets very hot in the sun. I use either 12" tall strips of plywood, or I make the enclosure out of slump tone block stacked three high and offset wit a half block in the middle row.

If your tortoise is an adult, I would also suggest going much bigger.

Hope this helps.

luiz_borges

Thanks, I did not know about the importance of a visual barrier, it makes sense. My tortoise is about 2 years and is at the moment in a wooden enclosure that is getting really small for her (it is 60cm x 150 cm).

The block you mentioned is like a cinder block? How high should it be (the cinder block here is about 8")?
I was thinking about 1 block high, I already have a row of blocks which has the top at ground level to prevend digging out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks, I did not know about the importance of a visual barrier, it makes sense. My tortoise is about 2 years and is at the moment in a wooden enclosure that is getting really small for her (it is 60cm x 150 cm).

The block you mentioned is like a cinder block? How high should it be (the cinder block here is about 8")?
I was thinking about 1 block high, I already have a row of blocks which has the top at ground level to prevend digging out.

Yes. Slumpstone block is like a cinder block , but its textured to look a little nicer. Keeps my wife a little happier...

I would go two blocks high if your block is 8". You might get away with one block for a while longer since your tortoise is still small.

Building a pen around the outside of the block to keep the dog out is a very wise idea. We see dog maulings on this forum far too often, and I thinks its great that you are already thinking about prevention.

luiz_borges

I would go two blocks high if your block is 8". You might get away with one block for a while longer since your tortoise is still small.
The two block high is to hide the outside from the tortoise or to prevent it from climbing the fence?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The two block high is to hide the outside from the tortoise or to prevent it from climbing the fence?

Both. You will be surprised how how tall they can stand on their back feet. If they can reach the top, they can pull themselves over.

luiz_borges

Great, will do a full two block high.
While on the subject, do you think the size is big enough (2x3m) for it even as adult?

I think that in future I might get another red foot to join the one I already have, I just hope I don't get a male, as the prospect of having more turtles would be troubling.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great, will do a full two block high.
While on the subject, do you think the size is big enough (2x3m) for it even as adult?

I think that in future I might get another red foot to join the one I already have, I just hope I don't get a male, as the prospect of having more turtles would be troubling.

I would go much bigger for an adult. Triple that.

Tortoises generally don't do well in pairs. Groups of juveniles usually work out okay, or groups with one adult male and several females, or just a bunch of females with no male if you don't want eggs and babies, but pairs are almost always a problem.

Hrairoo

BC, Canada
Seriously, do not get a pair! It can be really harmful for the tortoises to live like that. If you want to get another, build another enclosure for it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That much? Everywhere I looked it was recommend a 4'x8' pen for one adult. Mine is 7'x10'. Twice the recommend area and equivalent to this one: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-redfoot-pen.52241/

Everyone you ask will likely have a different answer for this question. I prefer to give my tortoises lots of room to roam. Think of how much they would wander without the enclosure walls in their way. Tortoises are like horses in that locomotion helps move things through the digestive tract. Exercise also keeps them fit and prevents a whole host of potential problems.

Your tortoise won't necessarily come to any harm in a small 2x3m enclosure, but bigger would be better, especially as she ages and gains size.