Russian Tortoise Question.

Jasper.hulleman

Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Hello Guys,

We are fairly new to having a tortoise. We bought our russian tortoise October 2020 and recently he became 1 year old on July 28. He is 201 gram at the moment. Everything went perfectly fine untill a couple of days (1 week)

We are starting to see that his behavior is changing, sleeps quiet alot and less interested in food. We are suspecting that he wants to hibernate since these are most of the things we read online. But to be sure we would like to hear some more opinions and came across this website.

He has a 1 by 1 meter enclosure with a platform 50 by 50 cm on top where he always sleeps. His base is layer is a sort sand that was recommended and bought by a reptile rescue facility and in his sleeping area has a fairly thick layer of it where he digs himself in. We got 1 UVB light basking spot and 1 heating lamp on the other side. In his sleeping area we dont have any heating. His enclosure is open and he is able to walk in the living room. He always likes to go on an adventure and when he is getting tired he walks back and goes to the heat.

Hot area is around 30 top 35 degreeds celsius and cool area at day 20 to 25 and in the night 15 to 20 degreeds celcius.

For his diet we have a variate of foods. Usually every week something else but we like to get him different things along the week. Such as: Romain lettuce, cabbage, normale lettuce, carrot tops, bell peppers, cucumber, tomato and some fruits once a week.

Hope i informed you all enough to get us some tips and tricks. Also i would like to hear some opinions about the matter and what we can do in this matter! Thanks in advance :)

Kind regards,

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You have a lot of changing to do. His activity could be time of year. But could be diet, which is very bad. Could be walking the floor of your house, which is very bad. Could be temps which isn't quite right or could be many things.
Temps need to be 75-80F day, basking 95-100F night not lower then 60F. Humidity should be 50-80%.
No sand, causes impaction. No fruit it screws up their gut flora. No veggies.
Dark leafy greens like kale, endive, mustard and collard greens if you can't get natural weeds.
No roaming the floors of your house, too many things that can make him sick or dead. Dust bunnies, electrical cords or we have seen some get its head squished in a door, etc.
Please read the link I will post for you and make changes asap.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Ohh jeez! That scares us a lot since we did ask for advise from these turtle rescue people...

We'll get those changes done asap. Thanks for commenting so fast and for the link. We'll keep ya'll updated!
Welcome ! It is totally natural to feel overwhelmed after reading the SUPER comprehensive caresheet ( I call it “The Gospel According to Tom”). However it helped me immensely.with my Russian tortoise.

Please trust these experts because they know tortoises best! Ask as many questions as needed.

Jasper.hulleman

The Netherlands
We changed the substrate as you stated in the link, Sadly we cannot change his sleeping area to the newer substrate since he is still sleeping and dug in. We also check the heat and changed it to the recommend heat. Humidity meter is on order and we'll keep an eye on that.

We got a couple of questions:

1: Since he is sleeping for 3 days straight (I think hibernation), is this okay for a 1 year old tortoise. Today he dug himself even deeper in the sand which fully covers him now.

2: If hibernation is not an option. Do we dig him up and soak him? I mean is it possible to just 'wake him up' sort of and try to keep him from hibernating?

3: He ate a day before he went sleeping for this long, could this be dangerous? if so what do we do? (We got told that whenever this is the issue it could be dangerous since the food in his belly could rot and possible kill him?)

4: To keep him humid, in his sleep do we spray some water on the sand or what is the best option?

Thanks again for replying and it helps us very much!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
My tort isn't a hibernating species so I've no experience of this but I believe that it's usually recommended that you don't hibernate torts the first year you have them to make sure they're healthy enough to survive it.
I think you have to prepare your tort for about a month for hibernation by gradually reducing their temps and letting their appetite reduce so that their gut is empty, because any food in it could rot and be very dangerous for them.

I'll tag @Yvonne @Tom @zovick and @ZenHerper who will give you advice about waking him.