Understanding my russian tortoise

JaneD10

Location (City and/or State)
Livermore, CA
We got a russian tortoise almost 1 days ago. He is housed in a 40 gallon tank with pictures stuck on all sides. We were told that he is about a year old but we think he is more like 4-5 years old.
He sleeps all day sometimes. Tries to burrow in one corner of the tank repeatedly and does not stop even when he hits glass at the bottom. He doesn't always eat ( like today he slept all day and when he got up in the night, we offered him some food, but he didn't eat it.
Whenever possible we take him out to walk around the yard for about 30 mins. He poops when we soak him in the water.

I just want to make sure that we are not doing anything wrong and want to make sure that sometimes sleeping all day is normal.
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Pictures of the tort will help us guess an age.
A Russian of 3 or 4 years needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure so that needs to be changed ASAP.
Now what are the temps?
Basking?
All over?
Night?
What type of lighting and heat are you using?
A new older tortoise will take time getting adjusted. The small enclosure and if you have improper heat and light won't help him get adjusted.
Be sure to read the Russian caresheet and make adjustments

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
The 'taking him out' part is potentially heartbreaking unless you're putting him into a properly built enclosure. They're a lot faster than they look, and can hide better than you would believe. If you turn your back for a minute he could disappear. There are way too many threads about this happening.

...then there is the whole issue of being a properly built enclosure, your guy is notorious for climbing and digging. You should really grab a cup of coffee, get comfy, and spend an hour or so reading through the Russian tort threads to see what you've gotten yourself into.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We got a russian tortoise almost 1 days ago. He is housed in a 40 gallon tank with pictures stuck on all sides. We were told that he is about a year old but we think he is more like 4-5 years old.
He sleeps all day sometimes. Tries to burrow in one corner of the tank repeatedly and does not stop even when he hits glass at the bottom. He doesn't always eat ( like today he slept all day and when he got up in the night, we offered him some food, but he didn't eat it.
Whenever possible we take him out to walk around the yard for about 30 mins. He poops when we soak him in the water.

I just want to make sure that we are not doing anything wrong and want to make sure that sometimes sleeping all day is normal.
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks
You were told the wrong stuff and sold the wrong stuff. Are you using a cfl type screw-in UV bulb? Those sometimes burn their eyes. Pet shops have it all wrong.

Here is the correct care info. First priority is to get a much larger enclosure, and to make sure you aren't burning his eyes with the wrong bulb.

JaneD10

Livermore, CA
Pictures of the tort will help us guess an age.
A Russian of 3 or 4 years needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure so that needs to be changed ASAP.
Now what are the temps?
Basking?
All over?
Night?
What type of lighting and heat are you using?
A new older tortoise will take time getting adjusted. The small enclosure and if you have improper heat and light won't help him get adjusted.
Be sure to read the Russian caresheet and make adjustments
I got the biggest enclosure indoor that I could get. I am looking at potentially getting a zoomed wooden box for indoors.

We have a temp gun and we measure the temp of the heat side and the house/cooler side daily.
There is also a thermometer/Hygrometer combo on the wall of the enclosure.
We have a 75W heat lamp on one side.
The UVB light is a long aquarium kind of light placed on top, Its "Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 HO T5 UVB Lamp" that covers 75% of the enclosure.
When we take him outside, we keep an eye on him and let him roam in the backyard or front yard. Boy, is he fast! He is very happy and we feel trying to escape us. This makes us think maybe he is wild caught and that makes us sad.
Anyhoo, I will post pics soon.
Thanks all for the replies.

JaneD10

Livermore, CA
You were told the wrong stuff and sold the wrong stuff. Are you using a cfl type screw-in UV bulb? Those sometimes burn their eyes. Pet shops have it all wrong.

Here is the correct care info. First priority is to get a much larger enclosure, and to make sure you aren't burning his eyes with the wrong bulb.

Thanks for all the info. I read up a lot before getting the tortoise. But I think I need to read it all again because not everything sunk in.
We have a Zoomed Reptisun 5 UVB TO fixture that covers 75% of the tank. We do not have a screw in bulb.

JaneD10

Livermore, CA
The 'taking him out' part is potentially heartbreaking unless you're putting him into a properly built enclosure. They're a lot faster than they look, and can hide better than you would believe. If you turn your back for a minute he could disappear. There are way too many threads about this happening.

...then there is the whole issue of being a properly built enclosure, your guy is notorious for climbing and digging. You should really grab a cup of coffee, get comfy, and spend an hour or so reading through the Russian tort threads to see what you've gotten yourself into.
Ya, we watch him like a "hawk" when he is outside :))
He is fast!!
Will re-read everything again.
Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I got the biggest enclosure indoor that I could get. I am looking at potentially getting a zoomed wooden box for indoors.

We have a temp gun and we measure the temp of the heat side and the house/cooler side daily.
There is also a thermometer/Hygrometer combo on the wall of the enclosure.
We have a 75W heat lamp on one side.
The UVB light is a long aquarium kind of light placed on top, Its "Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 HO T5 UVB Lamp" that covers 75% of the enclosure.
When we take him outside, we keep an eye on him and let him roam in the backyard or front yard. Boy, is he fast! He is very happy and we feel trying to escape us. This makes us think maybe he is wild caught and that makes us sad.
Anyhoo, I will post pics soon.
Thanks all for the replies.

The wooden enclosure is not big enough either.
Is there a reason you can't build him a proper sized area in the yard for him to stay daily when its warm enough?
If he can't live outside more then he needs a proper sized indoor enclosure. He will never be happy or get the exercise needed to be able to continue walking properly without proper space.
Still didnt say what temps are, so he needs a basking spot of 95-100. An over all temp of 75-80 and night temps can drop into the 60's.
Also a bare home, no plant coverage is unnerving to them. Their enemies come from above and they need coverage to feel safer.