Russian tortoise question

Court19ney

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Is it safe to feed my subadult Russian tortoise things like crickets, worms etc?
***no this is not his habitat we put him there to clear the old food and freshen the bedding.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not that I ever heard of. That's not part of their diet. In the wild or in an outdoor enclosure while grazing that might accidently eat a bug but it's not part of their diet otherwise.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Thank you
Proteins of animal matter are not included in the natural diet of Russian tortoises, and to be honest I’m not quite sure if they would even be able to digest it. Russians require a high fiber, low protein diet. Things that are good to feed include weeds, like dandelion leaves, stems, and flowers. (Yellow) among MANY MANY others.
Greens, like romaine, green leaf, collard, mustard, turnip, and beet greens, arugula, and red leaf lettuce.
Vegetables (occasionally) like broccoli, squash, carrots, and bell peppers.
And flowers like Hibiscus, and once again dandelion.

in conclusion, the say YES to leaves, greens, flowers, and veggies ( that are appropriate to feed)

and NO to animal protein.

and 100% they can get ALL of their protein needs from the proper foods, just like they would in the wild, after all, protein doesn’t just come from animals… plants too!

Court19ney

Pennsylvania
Proteins of animal matter are not included in the natural diet of Russian tortoises, and to be honest I’m not quite sure if they would even be able to digest it. Russians require a high fiber, low protein diet. Things that are good to feed include weeds, like dandelion leaves, stems, and flowers. (Yellow) among MANY MANY others.
Greens, like romaine, green leaf, collard, mustard, turnip, and beet greens, arugula, and red leaf lettuce.
Vegetables (occasionally) like broccoli, squash, carrots, and bell peppers.
And flowers like Hibiscus, and once again dandelion.
Thank you that’s extremely helpful. Just wanted to check because I’ve had other types of turtles. And this is my first time with a tortoise.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Thank you that’s extremely helpful. Just wanted to check because I’ve had other types of turtles. And this is my first time with a tortoise.
Yes! I completely understand, though turtles and tortoises do seem quite simaler, many of their needs are different, animal protein requirements being one of them! ?